Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Boot Hangs

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Do you have internet connection if so download and run this please.
Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others).

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!" OR YOU CAN RUN THE TEST ANON. without signing up. - you will see that at the end of that screen. The results will still be saved long enough for me to look at them.
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Mstat

I have signed off for tonight.
In view of the error and the return of it after the system restore.
I would advise that you back up any important personal data to an external hard drive or DVD if the laptop has an optical drive.
I am NOT at this stage thinking that you are going to have to proceed to a reinstall but ANY attempt to repair the system is of course NOT without risk, however slight and securing your personal data is always the best advice.

Mstat

Mstat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I had a difficult time getting IE to run properly at pcpitstop. It said the scripting was not enabled. So I rebooted into checkdisk and then in here and installed flash and java again after removing them.

Here is the url for my run:

http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=24565441

or here

I do appreciate the help. It seems that if I run checkdisk before hand it will boot up completely.

I also have backed up all my files to an external drive and I have recovery console installed, and the wondows xp pro sp2 install disk.

Thanks,

Mstat

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
One of your main problems is that you have 512MB ram installed.
16Mb of that will be used by your onboard graphics.
With all that you have installed, basically you have insufficient ram.
The commmonly accepted ram for Windows XP to run efficiently is 1Gb. in otherwords twice what you have.
Although I do not suggest that this is the cuase of the particular problem that prompted this thread, I can assure you that the computer will NEVER run smoothly until you increase the ram.
The capacity of your computer is 1Gb. That is 512 Mb in each of the slots and you have 256 in each at this time

From your computer. specifications
Memory
Memory module connector two user-accessible SODIMM sockets
Memory module capacities 64, 128, 256, and 512 MB
Memory type 2.5-V DDR SODIMM
Standard memory 128 MB
Maximum memory 1 GB (Inspiron 5100)

Here is the link if you so wish to Crucial Memory. This will show you the memory you can use and they ship worldwide. You DO NOT of course have to use Crucial. It is only to illustrate to you what is available.
http://www.crucial.c...0Series&Cat=RAM

In relation to the actual problem

1. You have this installed
Vista Codec Package
(4.7.3) Shark007However you need to note very carefully the uninstall instructions, as abreif exmaination of the product reveals that you may well encounter problems.
Here is the link to the site
http://shark007.net/index.html

I suggest you keep this information for use if it proves that you need to uninstall. Although the site states that it is compatible with XP - I personally would not let it anywhere near my computer.

2.You have this installed
I8kfanGUI V3.1
(3.1) Christian Diefer

http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/
This warning is from that products site
Disclaimer:
By using this software you are changing the thermal management of your DELL notebook. This program is not supported by DELL, so any damage caused by this program is not covered by your system's warranty nor by me. YOU'RE USING THIS PROGRAM AT YOUR OWN RISK !

IF YOU Laptop was running OK before you installed this oftware, you did not want it or need it.
If the laptop was causing problems, by way of shutting off, when used for sometime, a sign of overheating, then installing this was NOT the proper course of action, what was needed was a clean of the laptop
Possibly just the vents, but maybe a more intensive clean requiring dismantling to access the fan and the cooling fins of the processor.

3. You have this file on C Drive
C:\ A0027123.exe 49.96 MBs
do you KNOW PLEASE WHAT IT IS.

4. You have installed CCleaner. We no longer recommend the use of this on GeekstoGo as it includes a registry cleaner which has to be disabled when running CCleaner.
My advice is not to use it. In fact I would uninstall it.

Please DO THE FOLLOWING NOW
1. Please download these two itemes and run the programs.
Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.
Followed by this please.
http://www.atribune....id=25&Itemid=25
Please run ATF Cleaner clicking on the Main tab, and select ALL.
Please ensure that you have any saved passwords for websites email etc, as they will be deleted.
It does NOT effect Windows passwords.
This is an ideal utility to run once a week or so to clean your browser files.
When running regularly do not check PREFETCH as windows will simply rebuild it.
DO CHECK IT THIS TIME PLEASE - by select all.
Then if you use Firefox check that tab and do the same please.

Then please download and run this
NOTE the caution do not use any other offered program from Auslogics. Run ONLY the defrag please, not the defrag and optimize. You will see the choice when you click on the defrag button.
Download Auslogics defrag and run that. DO NOT PLEASE use any other offered program from Auslogics.
http://auslogics.com...defrag/download
Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:
It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing

You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

Then please do this
BEFORE proceeding with this actual step when the system configuration window opens, please click the Startup tab. Please post details of ALL items that have a check in the box on that tab. - see my screenshot. - note it is VISTA screenshot but the principle is the same.
Then when you have done that proceed as below please.

Method 2: Manually starting XP with a clean boot (advanced user only)
This section is intended for advanced computer users. If you are not comfortable with advanced troubleshooting, you might want to ask someone for help or contact Support. For information about how to contact Microsoft support, visit the following Microsoft Web site: http://support.micro....com/contactus/To manually start Windows XP with a clean boot, follow these steps:
Step 1: Start the System Configuration Utility
  • Click Start, click Run, type msconfig, and then click OK.
  • The System Configuration Utility dialog box is displayed.
Step 2: Configure selective startup options
  • In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click the General tab, and then click Selective Startup.
  • Click to clear the Process SYSTEM.INI File check box.
  • Click to clear the Process WIN.INI File check box.
  • Click to clear the Load Startup Items check box. Verify that Load System Services and Use Original BOOT.INI are checked.
  • Click the Services tab.
  • Click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.
  • Click Disable All, and then click OK.
  • When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.
Step 3: Log on to Windows
  • If you are prompted, log on to Windows.
  • When you receive the following message, click to select the Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows start check box, and then click OK.
AFTER COMPLETING all the steps in my section please do the following NOW
would you please then post the results as to how the computer loads and runs.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 21 September 2011 - 10:47 AM.

Mstat

Mstat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi,

I tried to boot it up and it hung then it gave an mDNSRespoonder error and then completed boot up.

I will do the steps in order but should I start with TFC or the uninstalls above it?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Further to the above if you think that I have been a little strong in criticising your computer and what you have on it, then please understand that it is ONLY posted as the best advice that I can give you.

A lot of what you have installed requires more ram than you have to run successfully.
For instance you have Google Chrome.
I recommend you unistall Chrome.

You also have Adobe AIR
This is the recommendation for Adobe AIR

Desktop system requirements

Windows
  • Intel® Pentium® III 1GHz or faster processor; Intel Pentium 4 2GHz or faster
  • Microsoft® Windows® XP Home, Professional, or Tablet PC Edition with Service Pack 2 or 3 (including 64-bit editions); Windows Server® 2003 or 2008; Windows Vista® Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise (including 64-bit editions) with Service Pack 2; or Windows 7 (including 64-bit editions)
  • 512MB of RAM (1GB recommended)
  • I recommend you uninstall Adobe AIR you do not I am sure need it.
Each Adobe AIR application appears as a separate entry on your system and is listed separately in the Add/Remove programs list on Windows.

To remove (uninstall) an Adobe AIR application:

• Select Start > Settings > Control Panel.
  • Open the Add or Remove Programs panel.
  • Select the application that you want to remove.
  • Click the Change/Remove button.

Mstat

Mstat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi,

This is Mike and I am sure she has no idea about any of this so I have run tfc and will do atf now. After all the runs I will do the uninstalls if that is ok.

Mike

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Yes please start with - my section Please do the following now

Mstat

Mstat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks I will get to the msconfig when the defrag finishes.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Good.
So you have run TFC and the ATF cleaner.
I will be online for another 2 hours or so.
I will post when I am signing off.

If it makes it easier for you, when you have the startup tab open on msconfig, if you press the print screen key, then go start, programs, accessories, paint and when paint opens, you click the edit tab and then click paste, the image of the startup items will appear in paint.
You then click the File tab and click Save as.
It defaults to Bitmap, that is too large you need to save it as JPEG.
Then on your reply, - Use full editor and you can then attach the image.
You may have to resize it to attach due to the limit.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 21 September 2011 - 09:01 AM.

Advertisements

Mstat

Mstat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I understand and will do when the defrag finishes

Edited by Mstat, 21 September 2011 - 09:12 AM.

Mstat

Mstat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi,

Thanks again for the help, I know Mstat really appreciates it and I appreciate your patience with an old guy.

Here is the picture of the start up tab.

Mikeuntitled.JPG

Mstat

Mstat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I rebooted and it loaded and runs fine. I was nervous about the antivirus not being on so turned it on and things are ok. :)

Thanks again for the help!!

Mike

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Good.
It has been great to work with you both.
Thank you for being so ready to do everything I asked.

Would you please go back to msconfig and restart in normal boot.

Steps to configure Windows to use a Normal startup state
loadTOCNode(2, 'resolution'); After you used the clean boot to resolve your problem, you can follow these steps to configure Windows XP to start normally.
  • Click Start, and then click Run.
  • Type msconfig, and then click OK.
    The System Configuration Utility dialog box is displayed.
  • Click the General tab, click Normal Startup - load all device drivers and services, and then click OK.
  • When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.
Then providing all is still OK would you please go Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer and on the left pane click Application.. Then in the main window to the right find the winlogon entry.
Double click that entry to open and confirm it is the results from the last check disk.
Then to the right of the window, you will see a double page symbol next to the up and down arrows.
Left click ONCE on that double page symbol and then on your reply right click and paste.
That will send me the chkdsk results.

Here is the guide in step to step form

How to get to Event Viewer In Windows XP there are four ways to get to event viewer

• <Start><Control Panel><Administrative Tools><Event Viewer>
  • <Right-Click My Computer><Manage><Event Viewer>
  • <Start><Run><Eventvwr>
  • <From C: Prompt><Eventvwr>
Obtaining CHKDSK Results

• Once Event Viewer is open, select Application
  • The 4th column of information in the right-hand pane is titled Source , click on the word Source at the top of the column to sort by that column
  • Scroll through the Source column to find the most recent entry titled Winlogon
  • Double-click Winlogon to open the CHKDSK results

Edited by Macboatmaster, 21 September 2011 - 10:03 AM.

Mstat

Mstat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hello,

Many thanks again for your excellent and patient service!!!! :)

Here is the check disk thing.

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Winlogon
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date: 9/20/2011
Time: 8:58:16 PM
User: N/A
Computer: MARIA-2B8A35B8E
Description:
Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.
Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
Cleaning up 55 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 55 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 55 unused security descriptors.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
Free space verification is complete.

156280288 KB total disk space.
25116036 KB in 90565 files.
26012 KB in 7879 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
174772 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
130963468 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
39070072 total allocation units on disk.
32740867 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
20 8a 01 00 98 80 01 00 0f de 01 00 00 00 00 00 ...............
cf 03 00 00 02 00 00 00 ec 06 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
90 c1 74 03 00 00 00 00 40 93 2d 26 00 00 00 00 [email protected]&....
e0 e9 45 08 00 00 00 00 c0 bc 96 85 03 00 00 00 ..E.............
a0 00 44 c8 08 00 00 00 b0 dd 63 87 0c 00 00 00 ..D.......c.....
99 9e 36 00 00 00 00 00 98 38 07 00 c5 61 01 00 ..6......8...a..
00 00 00 00 00 10 f6 fc 05 00 00 00 c7 1e 00 00 ................

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....ink/events.asp.