Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Boot Hangs

• Please log in to reply

Mstat

Mstat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I am unsure of what to do with the Vista codec thing. The link did not go directly to something about uninstalls where would I go to know the issues. I have uninstalled the fan thing, Adobe Air, and will take off CCleaner. The file I will check with her on to see if she knows it.

Thanks,

Mike

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Well that is good news regarding the chkdsk, as you will no doubt have seen there is no record of any bad sectors, so on the evidence of that, there is no reason to suspect the disk.
Neither is there any evidence of file corruption, at least as far as chkdsk can know.

If you have now returned to normal startup and all is OK, you should test the system over the next few days by using the browser, opening graphics, downloading etc and try it with a few windows open, to see how it handles the demand.

Keep your eye on temps etc as that laptop is quite old now and may need a thorough clean. Not to be attempted unless you have some knowldge.

I am singing off but will post regarding the uninstallation of that last matter you riase, as soon as I get chance.

Good luck with it.
The ram upgrade would serve you well.

Mstat

Mstat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thank you and I am off to get memory for her. I will just say it was from an angel and let it go at that. Teachers make such a small amount for what they are worth.

Thanks,

Mike

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Here it is
http://shark007.net/...leshooting.html

If you are NOT now having any problems, possibly you could leave it.
If you have any problems when playing media, then I would uninstall it. Whatever you do, do not forget to create a restore point before you start.

VLC media player would play all you ever need without having the problem of finding codecs for WMP
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

personally I would much prefer that to using the program from Shark whatever.

NB Signing off please do let me know how it goes with the new ram and please tell Maria to post back just as she needs to.
Regards.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 21 September 2011 - 10:54 AM.

Mstat

Mstat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thank you thank you thank you and have a nice evening!!! :unsure: :)

Mstat

Mstat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Macboatmaster,

This is Mike and after playing around with it for several days it seems fine.

I plan to return it to Maria tomorrow.

Thanks again you are a life saver!!!!! :) :unsure: :yes: :)

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Great news.
Did you upgrade the ram?

Mstat

Mstat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Not yet the stores here did not have it that are nearby so I am ordering online tomorrow once I look into it for best price and legit. Do you have any recommendations for a place to purchase online in the US??

Mike

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Unfortunately NO. As I am in the UK, but Crucial has a US site. Simply go to the link I sent and change to the US site, it may well offer you that automatically when it detects your location.
One advantage of Crucial is that if they supply ram, using their memory advisor which will search your computer and recommend the ram, and it is wrong, it is exchanged without question.
They are NOT the cheapest, but I have always used them and found the service excellent and the ram is good quality.
Be careful about buying ram on the internet, from untested sources, there are some good deals, but there is also some rubbish available.

Mstat

Mstat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
My order from Crucial is on the way. I sent the computer back with my daughter today and will have her retrieve it when the memory comes in the mail.

Thanks!

Mike

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Good luck to her.
When you put that ram in.
Switch off, TAKE OUT THE BATTERY.

Leave the laptop overnight or at least for a couple of hours.
Open the cover to the ram, BEFORE touching the ram, discharge any static in your body by touching a good earth. Do not work on a carpet.
A kitchen work surface, stood on a tiled floor is ideal.
Open the antistatic wrapping of the ram, again discharge any static by touching earth with both hands, before handling the ram
Handle the ram only by the egdes of the card.
Insert the first stick of ram.
Repeat the procedure of opening the wrapper, discharging any static and insert the second stick of ram.
NB NOTE CAREFULLY the way the ram came out when releasing to the two small catches either end of the stick of ram
Ensure the ram is orientated correctly when inserting and the two catches should spring into place, check that they have done.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 23 September 2011 - 10:05 AM.

Mstat

Mstat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thank you for all the help!!! :)

The new ram is in and working fine. The process to change it out was a real help.

Thanks a lot!!! :) :yes:

Mike for Mstat

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am so pleased.
I bet you will notice a real difference.

Thanks so much for posting the result and most geuinely, it has been a pleasure to help you.