Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Format, reload with XP now getting NTLDR missing

• Please log in to reply

dmcbass

dmcbass

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
ASUS A8N-E MB
2GB Ram
AMD 3700 processor
SATA HD - drive C and D - OS installed on D - has worked for years with this config.
IDE HD - use for storage.

Machine had slowed down and has difficulty on startup. Some freezes, some only startup screen then freeze.

Complete format of D:, XP loaded perfectly. Installed ASUS chipset, audio, net, etc drivers.
Loaded SP2 from disk perfectly.

But on reboot from SP2 install, got NTLDR missing error.

Reformatted D: and loaded XP again but on reboot got the NTLDR error.

Tried the Repair Console and copied NTLDR and NTDETECT.com to D: and then C: after copying to D: did not cure issue.

I have data on C: that I would like to keep. Thought I might try formatting D:, then loading XP on C:.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

dmcbass

dmcbass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
I just formatted D: to get rid of XP OS previously installed.

Installed XP on C:.
Installed ASUS chipset drivers.
Rebooted and got the NTLDR missing error.

It rebooted twice during XP install with no errors. Why now?

dmcbass

dmcbass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Well I think I have solved the mystery. Changed the jumper on IDE 0 to Cable Select and made it IDE Master. Changed the boot order of the HDDs in BIOS to IDE then SATA. It has now booted many time during the Windows Update with no issues so I think it is resolved.
Hope this helps someone else.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :unsure: for a successful resolution for your issue.

I'm sorry we did not respond quick enough to help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. Great detective work on your part for finding and resolving the issue on your own.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :yes:
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

dmcbass

dmcbass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
You guys are the best and I always call on you with any issues I have because I know you will stick with me till it is resolved.

Thanks and Cheers