Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot Open or Close Programs

• Please log in to reply

Tylinos

Tylinos

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
Certain programs in Windows XP will no longer open, such as Firefox, Pidgin, anything related to the DVD drive, or the Run command prompt. Task Manager opens, and it shows that all programs I tried to open are listed as processes, but Task Manager is unable to end them. Additionally, for programs already open, they would still run, but certain tasks would completely lock them up, such as selecting the Open option in Notepad, which would start to show the program list, and then the notepad would freeze and become unable to be closed with Task Manager. I tried to use the New Task option in Task Manager to get around the Run problem, but that resulted in Task Manager freezing like the other processes.

I've been trying to shut that computer down for the past 15 minutes or so now, but each part of the shutdown has run very slowly, and it's been at "Windows is shutting down..." for more than half of that time now. The loading light on the computer hasn't been blinking, as if the computer isn't even doing anything.

This whole situation started when I tried to start backing up files to DVD. I had the DVD burning program open, and had just inserted a DVD. The computer accepted it, and everything was going normally, but while I was adding programs to the list the computer suddenly ejected the disc and the program froze. Then all of this started to happen. I'm guessing this had something to do with that, but I have no idea what it could have done, or why it's affecting so many unrelated programs.

Please, if someone can give me some help here, I'd really appreciate it.

Also, can I just manually shut my computer down now, or is that too unsafe? It hasn't shown any sign of getting closer to doing so.

EDIT, 40 minutes later: I might have been too quick in posting here. After the computer restarted, everything was completely fixed. I'm still a bit curious to what happened, but this topic isn't really needed now.

Edited by Tylinos, 21 September 2011 - 12:41 AM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I would examine the following

One the amount of ram. If it is less than IGb that may well be the first problem

Secondly I would examine what other programs were running in the background

Next I would look at the amount of free disk space on the drive.

Finally I would look at how defrgamented the drive is.

These are your starting points, together with the general spec of the computer by way of processor speed and what program you were using to make the DVD

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Tylinos

It is now 4 days since you started this thread and although you edited the thread to add everything appeared to be fixed after a reboot., you then continued to say

I'm still a bit curious to what happened,

Please would you update the thread to indicate your progress on this issue, possibly in the light of my reply.