Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ won't install

• Please log in to reply

O Town

O Town

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Good morning. Im sure you have heard of this problem before, but I have searched the forums here with no luck in finding an answer.
My automatic updates keeps popping up telling me to install Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 redistributable package (KB2538242). I obviously have tried numerous times and sometimes it says it was successful and other times it says it fails. It doesn't show up in my programs list so I know I have been unsuccessful. I can not seem to find a straight answer on the net for this fix. I have heard to hide it....not a good idea to me. I have heard its a problem with the installer....ran Fix It from Microsoft. I have heard to install both vcredist_x64.EXE, and vcredist_x86.EXE manually from Microsoft.....Im unable to do so because I get error 1714: The older version of Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 redistributable can not be removed. I tried to go into my programs and remove it that way and still get 1714. So now I am not sure what to do next. I also heard its a registry issue but I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to that. Any help is appreciated. Thank you. :)

Oh I am running XP Media. thx

Edited by O Town, 21 September 2011 - 07:49 AM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
It will not show in your programs, but does it show in Control Panel, add/remove programs click to check the box Show updates.

Then please see this article
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910339

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
O Town

It is now 4 days since you started this thread and you have never responded to the advice offered.
Please indicate the current situation and if you still require help on the matter.
Thank you