Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Accounting for my HD space

• Please log in to reply

Walker

Walker

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I have a 40 gig HD, I have done a lot of cleaning lately. It has helped a bunch, but I still have a lot of space unnaccounted for, it's taken up by something though. I have searched for archived files, installation files, cd images and stuff of that sort to see if I have a bunch lying around, but I don't. So does anyone know of a good program to get my hd space again? Or atleast let me know what's taking it up.

It would be nice to see a list of EVERY file I have on my computer, reguardless of folders/directories so I could sort by size and get to the bottom of this!

Thanks for your time pal

Advertisements

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Depending on how much space that is seemingly "lost", you may not be missing it at all. The way hard drive manufacturers rate the drives, you actually have lost space before you even put it in. A manufacturer rates a Gigabyte as 1000 Megabytes, and a Megabyte as 1000 Kilobytes, and a Kilobyte as 1000 bytes, right? Well, a kilobyte is actually 1024 bytes, so if you figure that you lose 24 bytes/kb, by the time you have a drive that is 120GB, you are only "really" ending up with approx 114 GB. This means that you have "lost" about 6 GB of space before even opening the box. To look at this at a 40GB level, you would only be losing about 1.5 - 2 GB of space. So your estimated drive space should be around 38 GB. So after that long spiel, exactly how much space are you losing?

Greazy Mcgeezy

Guest_yezpahr_*

Guest_yezpahr_*

It would be nice to see a list of EVERY file I have on my computer, reguardless of folders/directories so I could sort by size and get to the bottom of this!

View Post

Well, that IS some great idea, maybe some software-designer is already on it and I am certain I will take this scoop to school and start programming already. When I get it, I will give it to you when we are done. :tazz: . Add me to msn at Golden_player_Yezpahr and I will give you the program when done. ;)

Talking about that harddisk. That was perfect knowledge for my noobie mother. I knew about that "lost" stuff, but never got the words to explain it.

mohsin

mohsin

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
greazy is abs right .. 40 gb is not a complete 40 gb its less then it i think at about 38 or 37 coz 1024 is 1 mb .. thts the way ..

sellers dint take this thing in mind they only love to sell by marks 40 ,60,80 :tazz:

Walker

Walker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I'm aware of my hd being not what it was advertised at, it is actually only 37.2Gigs. I still have my problem though, I hope some program comes out of the blue.

Anyone know of a possible file organization tool that might be helpful?

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

I'm aware of my hd being not what it was advertised at, it is actually only 37.2Gigs. I still have my problem though

What problem?? I see you have said you are missing space, how much space are you talking? Have you checked to see the size of your page file? Is it abnormal in size? Should be equal to about 1.5 X the amount of actual RAM. (example: If you have 256 RAM, you should have ~384 MB allocated for your page file. But I still question the amount of space that you are missing since that is only talking a few hundred MB to 2GB Max. If you could please elaborate on how much space is missing, maybe we could find where it went?

Greazy Mcgeezy

Guest_yezpahr_*

Guest_yezpahr_*
I would recommend:

C:\Documents and Settings\<Name of your XP-account>\Local Settings\Temp

CTRL+A your way into it and delete all stuff in the folder. Some data may still be there, that would be the stuff that is active at the moment. Go into Safe mode and delete the rest. Some programs might still want to use the files you deleted, so keep a back-up first. Try ALL programs that you are using after you moved it to a back-up folder and if any program failes, add the file that is missing. The name of the missing file is located in the error-pop-up window. After 1 week no problems, you can safely delete the back-up. I hope I helped you with this. Also I will NOT take any responsibility for your actions, if you delete it, it is because I wanted to help you and I never found any problems with it. If you get damage to your software or hardware or any other form of loss, I am NOT responsible. I hereby take my hands off your actions. Good luck!

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Please use this free tool CleanUp!, found just below my signature. Download and install it. It clears up all unneccessary files in your temp folders as well as your recent list safely.

Guest_yezpahr_*

Guest_yezpahr_*
Ah yes, of course. I am sorry, I said you had to go in there by yourself.

DON'T DO IT!!!

I said it, because I am not used to all these programs that I have found here. I always cleaned out my system manually and did it just fine. Untill I got struck down by that smooth criminal named Anti-Virus GOLD. I emptied the TEMP folder immediatly. Then installed Hitman PRO. The reason why I did that, is simple: It installs all recommended programs given on this forum... So When I downloaded the individual programs, they didn't do anything, because they already cleaned me up during Hitman PRO session.

Walker

Walker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
yeah, i found a bunch of stuffin application data, and local settings. That was a good while ago though. I looked some more for a file organization tool that would let me see each file on my computer size in a huge list, but with no result still. If anyone finds anything that would help me out... not just get rid of temp files.

I was thinking about just making making my computer bare bones again, get all of this piled up bull off of here. The problem is, I don't believe I have my windows disc anymore, or any driver cds that came with my computer for that matter, anyways what disc (i know it's a stupid question) do I need to be able to clean my hard drive COMPLETELY and then do a clean install of windows xp and start fresh.

Learnatic

Learnatic

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Mr Walker,
I have been pulling my hair out for over a year wondering where that HD space has gone. I use the CrapCleaner and think it's fabbo but still there is something missing in my life... file.
For all to see, I have pics of
C:/ properties and then I clicked on
C:/ ------> Edit---> Select all ---> Properties.
Please click on pics... Notice the two different quantities.
Posted Image Posted Image

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
If you wish to clean sweep your hard disk then have a fresh install then you need this:
  • Your Win XP CD installer is a must, that will install everything for your OS
  • for a startup disk look up Bootdisk
  • you need to reformat your harddrive, either from the installer disk or the startup disk
  • for the specific drivers you might need, please download and install Everest Home Edition, run a hardware report on it then attached a HTML on this topic. We will then suggest where you can download specific drivers.

Note: Everest Home Edition must be run just after you had installed successfully your OS.
After a fresh install,you might need some protections just before you go ONLINE, READ THIS.

Edited by kool808, 02 June 2005 - 08:15 AM.