Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

GeForce 6600 drivers...

• Please log in to reply

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
I'm not sure if this constitutes a hardware problem, but here goes. I have an Asus 6600 (non-GT) 128MB AGP 8x video card, and I have installed everything fine and my games are running OK. I am currently using the version 71.84 drivers off of the nVidia website. But, I have been noticing people using later drivers (such as the 75.90) achieving higher performance from their cards, and I can't help but wonder if it's my card, or later version drivers, or whatever has caused me to fall behind the standard.

I want to reiterate, my programs are running great, and I know "if it aint broke, don't fix it", but I was just wondering what is the best driver for the 6600 series cards...?

Thanks! :tazz:

Advertisements

Webslinger

Webslinger

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
What is the best?
Well, it's not an easy to answer question, mostly newer=better, because newer versions have bug fixes from past drivers.

But it also depends on the programmes you use, some games work better with older versions of drivers because not all changes in newer drivers could be supported by the game an can cause instability.

My advice would we always using the latest whql certified drivers from the nvidia site and keeping your games up to date with the latest patches.
And if you decide to intensely play a game that specifically requires an older driver version (the developer could advice this in it's readme files (like Lord of the Rings Battle for Middle Earth not liking version 7 and up of the Nvidia drivers)) install that driver for the time being.

Hope this helps

Webslinger