Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Win 7 64bit Multiple Crashes

• Please log in to reply

AaronL

AaronL

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Over the past month I have had three crashes none of which have had anything in common except the crash itself. The computer will freeze and the sound will stutter until I am forced to hard reset it. I know you will need more information to be able to find anything out, but I would be more then happy to give anything you need. The first crash happened while a video was playing, and I had a game opened(I don't remember which one). The second crash occurred with just a video playing. This second crash made me assume it was Hulu causing the crashes, but the third crash happened with just World of Warcraft open. After this last crash I ran Ccleaner for both registry, and temp files as well has updated my chipset, graphics, and audio drivers assuming one of them was the culprit. I have not crashed thus far, but I don't believe the problem is cured. Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

*edited for grammar*

Edited by AaronL, 23 September 2011 - 12:33 AM.

Advertisements

3quilibrium

3quilibrium

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
AaronL,

I don't have a fix for your situation but I do recall running into a similar situation where my audio would start sounding warped and causing my CPU load to reach high levels, causing me to hard reset. I also updated my drivers and it seemed to have fixed whatever issue was occuring, until it came back after a couple of weeks. Ultimately I reinstalled my OS and haven't had a problem since. I do this almost every year just to give my laptop a fresh start and eradicate any software based anomalies. This was my HP HDX16 laptop. Oh, and I also got rid of all of my HP software that came pre-installed because for me it does more harm than good in terms of performance.

Edited by 3quilibrium, 23 September 2011 - 07:06 AM.

AaronL

AaronL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I built my computer myself so luckily there is no HP bloatware installed. I am hoping that the driver installs cured the issue, but I just don't feel like it is fixed. If all else fails I may have to recovery disk it. Hopefully someone will have a solution.

Thank you for the information 3quilibrium.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.

Put a tick in Accept then click on Next
Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next
Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish
Click Analyze
It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes
WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply

http://www.resplendence.com/downloads

AaronL

AaronL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I ran WhoCrashed, and found that my crash dumps were disabled for some reason or another. I have re-enable them, but because it was off there are none. I am not sure why they were disabled to be honest I don't remember turning it off.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please follow the steps below to enter the Event Viewer program in Vista\Win7. This will give me more information into what is causing your issue. You can get to Event viewer two ways and I will post both for you.

Method One

• Go to
• Start
• In the Search box type in Event Viewer in the search box and press Enter
• From this point you can follow from step four from the below method as they will be the same.
Method Two

• Go to Start
• Right click on the Computer Icon and select Manage
• Navigate to the Event Viewer, You will be prompted to accept the action you are going to perform. Click continue
• On the left window pane click on Local and then expand the Windows entry. This will allow you to see every error for the past 24 hours as well as the last 7 days in the right window pane.
• Look for the ones that correspond to the times that your issue occurred.
• If any are found please double click and expand the error. This will open and give you more information on the error.
• Please include that in your next reply.

AaronL

AaronL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I could not find any around the timestamp of where I believe the problem happened. The closest I see is below. There was another of the same exact error just an hour before as well as multiple of the same error a few hours before. I am not sure if these are common, but that seems to be the closest error to when the last crash occurred. I'm not sure why the XML was copied along with it, but incase you want it for anything I left it. I believe the last error is correct I have multiple of these spread out over the week, some of which I was not awake for. This error as well has a volmgr preceding it by milliseconds.
Log Name: System
Source: Schannel
Date: 9/23/2011 10:50:46 PM
Event ID: 36888
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords:
User: SYSTEM
Computer: AaronLong-PC
Description:
The following fatal alert was generated: 10. The internal error state is 10.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.micro.../events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Schannel" Guid="{1F678132-5938-4686-9FDC-C8FF68F15C85}" />
<EventID>36888</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-09-24T03:50:46.475077300Z" />
<EventRecordID>107586</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="612" ThreadID="664" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>AaronLong-PC</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="AlertDesc">10</Data>
<Data Name="ErrorState">10</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Below is another error the day before that concerns me although I don't believe it was related to the crash. It does show my crash dump did not initialize. There are multiples of this one as well.
Source: volmgr
Date: 9/22/2011 8:54:39 PM
Event ID: 46
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Description:
Crash dump initialization failed!
Event Xml:
<System>
<Provider Name="volmgr" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49156">46</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-09-23T01:54:39.229622300Z" />
<EventRecordID>107315</EventRecordID>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>\Device\HarddiskVolume2</Data>
<Binary>0000000001000000000000002E0004C001100000010000C000000000000000000000000000000000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>

Going back over the days I found this one that seems to me like a system crash as I rarely shut down my computer. I don't remember the exact day/time of the previous crashes to be honest. I do believe this may be the last crash that happened. Just milliseconds before this error is another volmgr crash dump initialization error, but I have not had as many crashes as I have volmgr errors.

Source: EventLog
Date: 9/22/2011 8:37:30 PM
Event ID: 6008
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Description:
The previous system shutdown at 8:36:06 PM on ‎9/‎22/‎2011 was unexpected.
Event Xml:
<System>
<Provider Name="EventLog" />
<EventID Qualifiers="32768">6008</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-09-23T01:37:30.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>107151</EventRecordID>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>8:36:06 PM</Data>
<Data>‎9/‎22/‎2011</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>20484</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Binary>DB070900040016001400240006003900DB0709000500170001002400060039003C0000003C000000000000000000000000000000000000000100000000000000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>

Edited by AaronL, 23 September 2011 - 11:46 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well honestly that really showed me nothing.
We may have to wait to see if it happens again and then get the WhoCrashed. Honestly I hope it doesn't happen again and it was just a hiccup with the system.

AaronL

AaronL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I hope it was nothing myself(knock on wood). I could not find anything pertaining to these errors on microsofts site. With a volmgr before each crash could re-enabling the crash dump have fixed it? Although I don't see why windows would crash from not having it enabled.
Thank you for the help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope the onyl thing a disabled crash dump does is it won't create the log or dump file to tell what caused the crash. It has nothing to do with actually causing the crash.