Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sudden system slowdown

• Please log in to reply

bluee

bluee

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
hey i have 512mb ram and an 80gb hd, with windows me. i used to have a 24x16x24 cd rom but switched it with a 8x16x8 and changed some bios. then my computer ran incredibly slow. so i went back to bios and set them all to default. but still the system ran slow. then i switched the cd drives and it swtill isnt working right. i checked and one of my ram was popped out so i popped it back in and still running slow... ne one know what to do?

Advertisements

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Let us take a closer look at what is running on your PC. We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool (HiJackThis) and post a log back here with the results.

Click the HijackThis Guide in my signature, download it and follow the instructions in the guide.

Most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

bluee

bluee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.1
Scan saved at 11:23:46 PM, on 8/20/2004
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HIDSERV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCPD-LC\SYMLCSVC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\MHOTKEY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\CNYHKEY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\AIM\AIM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WBEM\WINMGMT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\HIJACKTHIS.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETZERO\EXEC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETZERO\EXEC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETZERO\QSACC\X1EXEC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PSTORES.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://my.netzero.ne...ch?r=minisearch
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://my.netzero.ne...ch?r=minisearch
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://google.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://my.netzero.ne...ch?r=minisearch
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://my.netzero.ne...ch?r=minisearch
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://my.netzero.ne...ch?r=minisearch
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://my.netzero.ne...ch?r=minisearch
R3 - URLSearchHook: URLSearchHook Class - {37D2CDBF-2AF4-44AA-8113-BD0D2DA3C2B8} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\NZSEARCH\SEARCHENH1.DLL
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: X1IEHook Class - {52706EF7-D7A2-49AD-A615-E903858CF284} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETZERO\QSACC\X1IEBHO.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCHealth] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\Support\PCHSchd.exe -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Hidserv] Hidserv.exe run
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec Core LC] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CHotkey] mHotkey.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ledpointer] CNYHKey.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinPatrol] "C:\PROGRA~1\BILLPS~1\WINPAT~1\WinPatrol.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ScriptBlocking] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\PROGRAM FILES\AIM\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [spc_w] "C:\Program Files\NZSearch\hcm.exe" -w
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Spyware Doctor] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYWARE DOCTOR\SPYDOCTOR.EXE" /Q
O8 - Extra context menu item: Display All Images with Full Quality - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETZERO\QSACC\appres.dll/228
O8 - Extra context menu item: Display Image with Full Quality - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETZERO\QSACC\appres.dll/227
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\PROGRA~1\MESSEN~1\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: MSN Messenger Service - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\PROGRA~1\MESSEN~1\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\AIM\AIM.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: MSN - {E19D474D-B5FD-11D2-AE0E-00C04FAEA83F} - (no file) (HKCU)

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Except for the usual NetZero stuff, your logs all clear! <_<

I'd guess you changed something in the BIOS. Have you tried reseting it to the defaults, or optimized settings?

bluee

bluee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
yea i reset all the defaults and now it works fine
im going to take out my current cd drive and put in a sony 52 32 52 16 is there ne thing i need to do? or just shut it down and switch them..?

bluee

bluee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
another thing, i have been trying to upgrade to windows xp and when i run upgrade it the bar fills up to install and then it starts to restart my computer. when it does after the reboot screen an options page comes up that says continue windows xp setup or cancel windows xp setup, when i continue it says continuing windows setup, then a status bar at the bottom fills up and then the screen just goes black... after i restart and get the options page again i choose cancel and it returns to windows me normally, but the options page comes up every time i restart my computer... i just had a thought and before installing windows xp it says a bunch of stuff will need aditional software to function. could that be y it doesnt work? one of the things is my video card, do u think that windows might actually be starting but i cant see it because my video card doesnt work?

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
hmm well when you get the options screen- do you get any things that say "format drive or partion" or "which harddrive to put operation system on" or anything of those options?

bluee

bluee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
no, it doesnt say ne thing about partition(dont know what that is) or hardrives. it does have the option to hit f8. i could type what that says if u want... but i just realized that after i hit continue windows xp setup it does the same thing as my dads computer(windows 2000) but his brings him to his desktop and mine just goes black... ne ideas?

bluee

bluee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
do u think it could be my video card? or is it something eles? i am so confused and dont know what to do... but i am getting a pci video card for an older computer and i will try that in my computer before i install it in the other computer... is that a good idea?

bluee

bluee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
i went to microsoft.com and searched troubleshooting windows xp upgrade and this is what it came up with: Your computer stops responding and a black screen appears during the upgrade
When you try to upgrade to Windows XP, your computer may stop responding, or "hang," and a black screen may be appear.

This behavior may be caused by either hardware or software that is incompatible with Windows XP.

To work around this behavior:
Wait 10 to 15 minutes on the current screen to make sure that the computer does not continue with the Setup procedure.
Restart the computer to see if it stops responding again at the same place while the Setup program is running. Occasionally, the Setup program may go farther than it did the last time that it stopped responding. If the Setup program does go farther, try restarting your computer several times and the Setup program may finish.
Restart the computer and select the option to Cancel Windows XP Setup to revert to Windows 98 or Windows Millennium Edition. If the option to Cancel Windows XP Setup is not an option when you restart your computer, go to step 5.
After you revert to Windows 98 or Windows Millennium Edition, remove any antivirus programs and any boot manager programs (such as GoBack), and then perform a clean boot of your computer. To perform a clean boot, view the article for your operating system that is referenced earlier in this article.
If the upgrade stops responding again, there may be a hardware incompatibility issue. You can try to disable ACPI functionality. When your computer restarts, you receive an option to press F6 to add third-party small computer system interface (SCSI) drivers. On this screen, press F7. No visual notification appears.
If the Setup program continues to stop responding, disable unnecessary hardware. Remove any USB devices, remove or disable network cards, sound cards, and serial cards, and then restart the Setup program.
If you continue to receive this error message, you may want to flash the BIOS on the motherboard. Refer to your computer's manufacturer or visit the motherboard Web site for information about how to do this.
If a BIOS update does not resolve the issue, or if you are not able to obtain an updated BIOS version for the computer, you may want to install Windows XP with a Standard PC Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL). To do this, press F7 when you are prompted to press F6 while the Windows XP Setup program is running. Specifically, you are prompted to press F6 after the Setup program restarts the computer for the first time. For additional information about how to force the Standard PC HAL, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
299340 How to force a Hardware Abstraction Layer during an upgrade or an installation of Windows XP

what do i do? dont understant^.... thanksh

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
When the screen goes black after restarting, leave the system alone. Sometimes it may take as long as 45 minutes, but will usually continue. This happens most the time on laptops. Try it and see what happens.

bluee

bluee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
i left it on all day at school and nothing happened when i got back the screen was still black and there was no response when i hit ne keys...

bluee

bluee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
hey i figured it out when i got the options screen to choose xp setup or cancel i hit F5 and then it would go to this options thing and i selected acpi pc and it worked, i also had to remove my anti-virus. thanks for ur help