Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wifi hotspot - can connect but can't browse and other problems - d

• Please log in to reply

rkell

rkell

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I really hope someone can help because I am getting major headaches. Sorry if this is long but please do read and I will give as much pertinent information as I can. I'm pretty amateurish at all of this - I understand some things but am not an expert so please bare with me.

I have bought a Samsung Galaxy S2 which I want to use as a wifi hotspot uing my laptop.
The problem is that I can connect to the wifi hotspot but can't browse. I use Google Chrome which gives me error 105 - Unable to resolve DNS server address and Explorer just says no network available. I've also tried connecting my PS3 wirelessly with the Wifihot spot and I get the same problem - it connects but cannot browse.

I have unlimited internet on my mobile plan (3 One plan) and I also have no problems in tetherring the phone and using it as a modem - the laptop connects fine.

My laptop and PS3 both can also connect with no problems to my home broadband wirelessly.

I've called 3 customer services and so far have flushed the DNS using command prompt and ran a command which I think was to reset winsock and restarted the laptop with no success.
3 then asked me to delete the existing network so as to do a new one, but when I tried I wasn't able to delete the connection or reset it. I got a message:

"It's not possible to disable the connection at this time. The connection may be using one or more protocols that do not support Plug and Play or it may have been initiated by another user or the system account".

3 have said that they are unable to help me further until I can remove the network connection but I'm stuck on how.

My laptop is a Amilo L7300 running Windows XP. I have a Ralink RT2500 Wireless LAN card. The phone is a Samsung Galaxy S2 on Android 2.3.3 with a build number of Gingerbread.XWKF4. The Kernel version is 2.6.35.7-I9100XWKF4-CL280512 if it's of any help or relevance.

Advertisements

rkell

rkell

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Anyone? Anything?

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hey rkell, and welcome back to Geeks to Go! Sorry about the wait, mobile phones can be tricky and often require plenty of research!

Just some questions for ya, and some suggestions.
First off, are you using the same OS that came with the phone, or have you rooted/flashed a custom ROM?
Second, are you using the built-in hotspot functionality, or using a different program?

I found a handy guide at http://www.mobilepho...laxy-s2-as.html that walks you through setting up a hotspot with your phone. Make sure you are following these instructions.

Another thing I thought of - are you using security on the hotspot; is it password-protected? Try playing around with the different encryption levels (off, WEP, WPA, WPA2) and see if you can get any of them to work.

Notice that I'm focused mainly on your phone - since neither your laptop nor your PS3 can successfully utilize your phone's hotspot, I doubt that changing any settings on your laptop will magically make your phone work.

I look forward to hearing back!