Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Moving jpg files from C:\ to E:\ drivesI want to free up spa

• Please log in to reply

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
With my Dell desktop with XP ....I want to free up space on my C:\drive by moving all JPG files created in 2010 to a folder (E:\2010photos) on my external backup E:\drive.

1. Using XP Search I search for *.jpg created in 2010.
2. I view the search results as View/Details.

Now, what is the best way (or any way) to move those files to E:\2010photos and delete them from the C:\drive?

Thanks.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Have you ever opened up windows explorer by clicking start, then right clicking Computer and clicking Explore.By right clicking Computer when the window opens up it will be a 2 pane window. In the left pane will be all your drives, control panel, document folders, etc. In the right pane is the folders, etc, that is in the blue highlighted file in the left pane. Do you see the little plus signs in little squares next to the icon & file names in the left pane? If you click on the little plus sign it opens the file to show all the folders you have on that drive or in that folder( underneath the file). More little plus signs in little square boxes can be opened to show the sub folders and files.

Now here's the good part.

Go to the C drive and the folder where you have all the jpg pictures(hopefully all are in your pictures folder). Right click on the pictures folder in the left pane, Hold your click down and drag the whole folder down to your E drive and the 2010 photos folder(you did click open the little plus sign on the E drive so you can see the 2010 photos folder)and once you have the dragged folder centered on the 2010 pictures folder, let go of the right click. Depending on the size of the folder, you wait until the small windows that shows the files transferring finishes and disappears(may take some minutes or even hours), and all your pictures are now on both drives. If you have other folders with pictures , just do the same thing. Now you can go back to the C drive pictures folder, open up the folder so it shows all the pictures in the right pane. Go up to edit at the top of the screen(you know, file edit view tools help) click on "select All", then click on file, then delete(while holding down the shift key). A small window will ask you if you want to permanently delete these files, and you click yes. And soon they will be gone never to be seen on the C drive again.

Wondering about the shift key? That just bypasses the recycle bin and deletes all the files off the drive. Why do it a second time by having to delete them out of recycle bin after you deleted them out of the pictures folder.

All the above confusing?
Well you can always use "edit - cut" out of the pictures folder, then "edit - paste" in the 2010 photos folder. But you have to blue highlight all the pictures by clicking on the first one, then holding the shift key and clicking on the last picture by scrolling all the way down. then the edit - cut, etc.

SRX660

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
You should keep your personal files backed up. Putting them on an external drive is not a backup! They need to be on 2 separate physical disks for it to a backup.

I suggest after copying them to the external that you keep them on C:\ also and find other ways to make space. Delete update backups, uninstall unnecessary programs, etc.

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
why not use a free on line backup service like sugarsync 5gig free space

https://www.sugarsync.com/free/

Free cloud storage gives you instant and easy access to your data anytime, anywhere.

Online backup and automatic file sync for work files or personal files like photos, videos, and music.

Download free mobile apps to sync iPhone, iPad, Android, BlackBerry, Windows Mobile, and Symbian devices.

Sync 5 GB of data across an unlimited number of devices