One of these may help:
1. Uninstall the drive through Device Manager.
Restart computer. The drive will be automatically reinstalled.
There was no drive to uninstall.
I had already tried this before posting. I couldn't find any filters, as stated in my OP.
3. Download, and run Restore Missing CD Drive patch
Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.
Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
Accept registry merge.
This looks like it's the same as #2. I do like the registry edit, though. Thanks. And I tried it anyway even though I'd already done #2, hoping it could find filters I couldn't.
4. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
You'll see two items:
- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
Right click on each of them, and click Uninstall. Confirm.
Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.
I deleted ATA Channel 0 and ATA Channel 1 (and only those).
What happens now is that my BIOS continues to boot correctly, but where I should start to see the Windows screen booting up I now see a flashing cursor... that continues to flash indefinitely.
So now windows doesn't boot at all...?
Edited by eljamoquio, 25 September 2011 - 08:49 AM.