Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Applications install but do not show

• Please log in to reply

terryco

terryco

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I'm hoping someone can help with a problem my Brother is having with his Laptop. He moved to Turkey a while back and he took one from the Uk that as problems too expensive to fix so he bought one in Turkey. The one he has is a 32 bit with Windows 7 and Mcafee Antivirus. There are some free aplications such as a cd/dvd cover software that he installed on his old laptop with Vista that worked ok. On the newer one they seem to install but theres no Desktop icon that he requests and in All Programs the folder is there but shows as empty. In uninstall or change the files are there. I thought it may be User Account control so i suggested he disables it and try to download again but its still the same. He also tried to install trials of other things with the same result. I installed the applications he wants on my Vista with no problems so i immagine the problem is with Windows 7 security somehow. If anyone can help me to help him i would be most thankfull

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
It's probably not a security issue but an issue where those particular apps don't install and/or run properly on Windows 7.
When running the installer for an app, right-click it first and choose Properties. Then click the Compatibility tab.
Tick "Run this program in compatibility mode for"
Select Windows Vista then click OK.
Now run the installer.

After installation, the program's shortcut may also need to be set to Compatibility mode (Vista) using the same method as before.

terryco

terryco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Thank you ill pass your tips on.