Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot run programs, AV, antimalwarebytes, etc

• Please log in to reply

mikeandcath

mikeandcath

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Last night all was fine. This morning I boot and my AV (Avast!) does not start. I tried to open excel file and I get "There was a problem sending a command to the program". Cannot open FF, but IE(64) works. Cannot run Malwarebytes, changed name to myapp.exe, and myapp.com - no luck, even in safe mode. Tried to run TDSSkiller, safe mode, tried renaming, nothing.... I am at a loss. please help if you can.

Advertisements

mikeandcath

mikeandcath

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok, here's the latest:

After struggling to find some utility that would actually work, I finally came across the suggestion to run sfc /scannow - which I did. This informed me that a corrupted file was repaired (I cannot find the log yet to see the exact file it referred to).
I was able to boot into normal mode and was able to run programs and I saw that Avast! started and was in system tray.
I ran malwarebytes - no problems found.
I went to run Avast! and I saw that a scan from yesterday put C:\Windows|SysWOW64\kernel32.dll|>[Emul] in its Chest because of Win32:Cycbot-KI[Trj].
I have now deleted the dll from Avast! Chest.

I think all is good.