Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Duplex mismatch... but settings are correct!

• Please log in to reply

Rik111

Rik111

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Ok got a strange deal here. I recently moved back to college (in a dorm), and immediately, there were some "lag spikes" as us gamers like to say. I endured them for a while, then got annoyed enough to contact tech support. They sent a guy out, and he checked my port and said there were some duplex mismatch errors. He then checked my computer's duplex settings and said they were correct. He told me to get a new ethernet cord and he wired a new port for me. (I asked the tech line if he was a scrub, and they said he was their best technician)

Note- When this happens, all computers go down (so if I have a router plugged in, all computers on the router lose web for ~10 seconds and if I'm plugged into the wall, that computer loses web for ~10 seconds)

I got a new cord, and I'm still getting this issue. It's almost unbearable. What else can I do?

I tried typing netstat -e in command prompt and got 8 errors in the "sent" column.

Please help me.

Edit- Nobody else on my floor says they get this issue.

Edited by Rik111, 25 September 2011 - 09:07 PM.

Advertisements

Rik111

Rik111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Any ideas?

Rik111

Rik111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Anybody? :)

Rik111

Rik111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Still an issue...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
if you've tried a different router plugged into the wall, your computer plugged into the wall without the router, different computers plugged straight into the wall without the router, and they all have the same issue, then the issue is not likely with your equipment

Rik111

Rik111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Thank you for replying. What can I suggest to the network guy then? He's increased my bandwidth about 10 fold, but I still get the issue and he says there's nothing more he can do.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
that they investigate a different path? have you tried seeing if a different apartment/room would let you test on their connection since you said no one else in the hall is having the issue? that will just confirm that it's not your equipment.