Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to Disable or Remove Windows 7 Password

• Please log in to reply

LogicsHere

LogicsHere

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My 91 year old mother has Windows 7 on her computer. While she has no problem remembering her password, she always struggles typing it in so I want to disable it for her so all she has to do is turn on her computer and she's ready to go. I have searched the web and came up with 2 ways but I'm uncertain as to which one to use or what will result when I reboot the computer after the change.

One of the changes requires the use of Control+Run and typing "control passwords2" and then unchecking must use password box.

The second requires clicking Control Panel and going into User Accounts (PDF attached) to and

Start and then open up the Control Panel
click the User Accounts and Family Safety option
In the Make Changes to Your User Account window, click on Remove Your Password
Here, Windows 7 asks you to confirm your choice to remove your password by typing in your current password. This step is critical because it prevents just anyone from hijacking your account by removing or resetting the password. After you have typed in your current password, click the Remove Password button.
Windows 7 then takes you back to the Make Changes to Your User Account window. Unfortunately, Windows does nothing to confirm that you have indeed removed your password other than the newoption on this window titled Create a Password for Your Account.
You can verify that Windows 7 has removed your password by logging out of your account and clicking on your account icon again. Notice that this time Windows 7 did not ask you for a password but instead simply logged you in

Which one if any is the best way to do it and is it possible I will encounter any problems by doing this? Any
help is appreciated.

Attached Files

Advertisements

LogicsHere

LogicsHere

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Does no one understand that I've asked a question here?

I don't want to do anything that will cause a problem with my mother's computer. A little guidance which of these two methods would be MOST helpful.

LogicsHere

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm sorry that nobody has gotten back to you on your issue but since we are all volunteers here we are not always here.
Since the issue has to do with passwords I highly doubt anyone will answer since it is a TOU issue for any member to offer assistance in bypassing a security password on the system.
You have posted options to do as you ask but BIOS or Operating System's passwords are there for the purpose related to Security and Privacy to protect the legitimate owner of a machine. While there are many locations on the Internet that might help you learn about managing passwords for a machine's BIOS or Operating System, we at G2G do not assist in bypassing past a machine's Security and Privacy safeguards.

While such requests are often legitimate, and come from users who experience exactly the kind of problem that you post, we have no way of determining legitimate vs. not legitimate, therefore we do not respond to such requests.

LogicsHere

LogicsHere

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you for your response. Was unaware of the details you so kindly provided.

I just didn't want my mother to have to struggle getting on to her computer. The fact that she's 91 and has interest in it is amazing in itself. I'll figure a way to handle the problem.

Again, thank you.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem and sorry we can't anymore then what I previously stated. Good luck :)