Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

toshiba m55-s139 factory reset

• Please log in to reply

mscobra

mscobra

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
I have a Toshiba m55-s139 running windows XP, sp1 and 2. It's really running slow, so I used the recovery disc and reformatted the hard drive and reloaded Windows. It still ran slow, so I check the disc clean-up and found scads of files still on the hard drive. Is there any programs out there that I can use to get it back to a factory condition?
Thanks in advance
Bonnie

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you didn't delete the recovery partition you can try that.

Toshiba:

To access the recovery partition do the following...

Power off the laptop.
Hold down the 0 (zero) key and turn the laptop on. Keep holding down the zero key until the TOSHIBA logo appears.
Start tapping the zero key repeatedly at this point.
Stop if the unit beeps or when the TOSHIBA logo disappears.
The screen should flash HDD RECOVERY MODE for a second and then it will load the Toshiba recovery program right from the hard drive.
Note that this erases all data, and reloads all factory default software.

mscobra

mscobra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Thank you..so I won't need the Recovery Disc that came from the unit? Which I used the first time through and it didn't ask to do anything to the partion.
Could I have used a different windows xp disc from another computer and then used the recovery disc from the Toshiba unit?
Thanks again

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can't use any other recovery disk that is not specifically for the Toshiba model you have. It will load drivers for whatever system it is for and most likely the Toshiba will not boot even then.
If it didn't format the partition first then it most likely either did a Repair installation or a Parallel installation which in either case would leave all the original data still on the hard drive.
Since you can get into windows please try the following.

Go to Start then to Run
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On left side click on Disk Management
On right side you will see you hard drive.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply. Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

Please do the following in the exact steps. Failure to do so could make the boot.ini damaged and cause unstable or unusable results with your system.:

Save a Backup Copy of Boot.ini

1. Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl and then click OK.
2. Click on the Advanced tab, and then click Settings
3. In the Startup and Recovery area at the bottom click Settings.
4. Under System Startup click Edit. This opens the Boot.ini file in Notepad ready for editing.
5. In Notepad, click File on the Menu bar, and then click Save As.
6. First in here change the location in the top white drop down box to Desktop. Then in the file name change to Boot.old and save as Text Document(*.txt) and save it to your Desktop and then click Save

Please copy and paste all the lines from your Boot.ini file in your next reply.

mscobra

mscobra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Seeing how I am at work and not near the toshiba laptop...I will have to do this when I get home after 5 pm est.
But I will reply with the requested info as soon as I can.
Can I try the first suggestion you gave first or go right to the second reply from you?
Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
the first instructions will let me know if you have a recovery partition or not.
The second set will give me the information on if there is a second windows installed or not.

mscobra

mscobra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
ok I tried step 1 and it beeped, and a small white light flashed in the upper left hand corner of the screen and then it loaded windows normally. I did not see the HDD recovery mmode flash.

Edited by mscobra, 27 September 2011 - 04:11 PM.

mscobra

mscobra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
here's the first screen shot

Attached Thumbnails

• paint.JPG

mscobra

mscobra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
here's the second request.
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Looking forward to hear from you.
Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK no recovery partition is present. :)
The boot,ini also looks good so no second windows installation.
The next option is to try the recovery disk again and this time make sure it deletes the existing partition first.
The recreate the partition and then format it using NTFS. DO NOT do a fast format. Make sure it does a regular format and then have it install the OS again.
This will erase all evidence of the old boot,ini and MBR so that everything is completely new.

Advertisements

mscobra

mscobra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
ok, thanks.. I'll try it again, but it might not be for a few days. If this dosn't work, is there anything else/program I can try?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Get a Genuine XP installation disk but it has to be a OEM.... and the correct version Home, Media or Pro...It has to be the exact type you have installed originally so that the reg key on your system will work.

mscobra

mscobra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
I do have the original Windows XP disc that came with the unit, but it's called the Recovery Disc with windows xp loaded on it.
thanks again

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That should be the one then I would advise to start with.

Go HERE for step by step instructions on how to partition, format, and install XP fresh

http://lifehacker.co...atch-157578.php

Though the steps will not match completely it does show you how to do the partition and format. :)

mscobra

mscobra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Thank you very much for your help and advice. I'll try and get to doing this, this weekend.