Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

toshiba m55-s139 factory reset

• Please log in to reply

mscobra

mscobra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
ok..followed directions from Geek to Live- How to format a hard drive to the "T". I'm on my 2nd format, It won't let me format unless it a quick format. Still getting lots of leftovers on the harddrive. Checked the Disk Clean up and there's still alot of files. The Format program says it's deleting the partions on "C", but it's still a quick format...aaarrggghhh. How can I get by this problem?? I really want a clean erase...

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What files are left over and how are you seeing the files?
After you format what are you doing to see the files?

mscobra

mscobra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
In Disk Cleanup - Office set up files - 82,760KB, Temporary Internet files - 4 KB, Compressed old Files - 1,005,998. Even in the start up box there are programs like MSN, Windows Media Player, Windows Messenger, Tour Windows XP, Files and Settings Transfer. I've gone to My computer and clicked properties and the Used space say 7.00 GB Used and 67.3 GB Free Space. Capacity is 79,826,309,102 bytes or 74.3 GB. The Recovery Disk I used came with the Laptop, but it won't let me chose on what programs I want installed, it just installs them automatically.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Wait I thought you formatted the drive and there was nothing on it. The files you are listing are install files, temp files and default installed program files. Try this to get rid of all the temp stuff first.
Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Background info courtesy of DonnaB Thank you

As for TFC, this is a tidbit of an article I found a while back by a MicroSoft MVP.

TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder. It also cleans out the %systemroot%\temp folder and checks for .tmp files in the %systemdrive% root folder, %systemroot%, and the system32 folder (both 32bit and 64bit on 64bit OSs). It shows the amount removed for each location found (in bytes) and the total removed (in MB).

Before running, it will stop Explorer and all other running applications. When finished, if a reboot is required the user must reboot to finish clearing any in-use temp files.
-- TFC only cleans temp folders.
-- TFC will not clean URL history, prefetch, or cookies. Depending on how often someone cleans their temp folders, their system hardware, and how many accounts are present, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or more. TFC will completely clear all temp files where other temp file cleaners may fail.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
By default:
  • Windows Media Player
  • MSN
  • Windows Messenger
  • Tour Windows XP

You can't stop them from installing true with the recovery disk but you can delete all the temp stuff.

mscobra

mscobra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
It won't let me download or install TFC by oldtimer, got a different link?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Why not is the error message it shows?
What does it say?

mscobra

mscobra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
that it's beening blocked and askes if I want to download and I click yes and it goes to a blank page

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go HERE and scroll through the list till you find TFC and see if it will download directly from there.

mscobra

mscobra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
ok I'll try it. Thanks
well, it downloaded that time.
Computer is still downing up dates from windows..

Edited by mscobra, 01 October 2011 - 08:49 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK good let me know but I think if you want to get rid of some of the programs we will have to go deeper to uninstall them.
WMP you can't uninstall because it is part of the OS.
Messenger and MSN should uninstall. The tour you can stop it from starting but it is part of the OS as well.

mscobra

mscobra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
ok. will do. I use the movie player and I've gone into Add and Remove programs and have un-installed the ones I know I don't want and there was a lot. Right now I'm installing the SP2 by disk, which will take awhile, then more window downloads are expected after that. I'm thinking I might have done this whole thing(re-formatted) about 2 weeks ago, but the computer still ran really slow after I formatted it. This is why I was looking for a clean erase program.
Thanks again for all your help..I guess this is as good as it gets, unless I added more memory to speed things up a little.

Edited by mscobra, 01 October 2011 - 09:26 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The only way to completely wipe the drive is to use a program like DBAN.
The problem is even after that the files you mentioned will return on a new install and have to be manually uninstalled.
Memory would be my next suggestion.

Go to HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system.
You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.