Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell inspiron 1440 Charging Issues

• Please log in to reply

PippiTheSockGirl

PippiTheSockGirl

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I have a Dell Inspiron 1440 laptop - just out of warranty.

Over the past few wereks Ive been getting the message that I need to replace the battery. I ordered a new batt but they sent the wrong one so Ive been using the laptop plugged in.

A few days ago the charger started sparking and part of it melted. I plugged a different Dell chareger into it and it wont charge at all.

Just wondering if theres anyway to know if this a battery issue, a charger issue or a an issue in the laptop itself.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi PippiTheSockGirl

A few days ago the charger started sparking and part of it melted.

Obviously not a good sign, possible causes include a faulty charger, a short circuit in the system board (can be caused by the power jack at the rear of the laptop coming away from the MB) or a mains power issue (power surge or bad wall socket).

I plugged a different Dell chareger into it and it wont charge at all.

Was it the correct type of charger, they are not all the same as they have different outputs and connection plugs (length and diameter).

Just wondering if theres anyway to know if this a battery issue, a charger issue or a an issue in the laptop itself

Try a known good charger and battery that are the correct type for the laptop, check the laptops power jack is secure and have the wall socket checked out.

NB: Just a FYI, Dell computers are known to not work well with non propriety components so please avoid cheap replacements.