Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DivX+ Codec and VobSub 2.23 Issue In Windows Media Player

• Please log in to reply

Songbill

Songbill

• Pip
  • 6 posts
This a DivX+ Codec software related issue, related to running it with .srt and .avi files together in MS Windows Media Player. (VobSub runs an .srt file in the background to display English subtitles with its associated .avi media file.) Here's the new hiccup I'm now encountering in Media Player, using the new DivX+ Codec:

A few days ago, I downloaded and installed the DivX+ Codec Pack on my HP laptop. I watch foreign dramas in Windows Media Player and since 2009 had been using an older DivX codec version on this 64-bit computer. Since 2009, I've also always been running VobSub 2.23 to display the English subtitles (i.e, an .srt file) associated with an .avi file in Media Player. The new DivX+ Codec Pack does also work with VobSub 2.23 in Media Player. HOWEVER, the new DivX+ Codec, unlike the old DivX Codec version, no longer allows the subtitles (.srt file) to stay time sync'ed to the video (.avi file) WHEN or IF the video location is changed for any reason using the mouse, to advance or back-up in the movie via the on-screen slider bar in Media Player [see blue bar in attached .jpg photo]. The English subtitles (.srt file) lose their sync with their video (.avi file) location and simply reset/go back to the very beginning of the subtitles, no matter where you are in the movie. It seems to be a problem with the new DivX+ Codec because when I uninstalled it and went back to the old set-up, this problem went away. The problem came back again when I re-installed the new DivX+ Codec.

What might be done to resolve this problem? Is the problem most likely with..... DivX Codec? ........Windows Media Player? .........Windows 7 OS? Is there a setting or adjustment I can make that might fix this? I've spent hours trying to find one in all three items and have come up empty.

[Click on the photo to enlarge it.]

Attached Thumbnails

• media player screen capture.JPG

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Have you tried VLC player instead. I find for displaying subs, that it's much easier to work with.

Songbill

Songbill

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Have you tried VLC player instead? I find for displaying subs, that it's much easier to work with.

Thanks for the suggestion starjax.

I'll try that other type/brand of player, but it seems to me that there is a glitch somewhere with MS Windows Media Player when using the new DivX+ codec. I wish I could know what it is. It's really unfortunate, because in MS Media Player that new DivX+ codec plays absolutely fantastic HD quality [i.e., the larger size .avi files (720p) that are now typically available for watching foreign dramas].