Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PLEASE HELP ME !

• Please log in to reply

joysga37

joysga37

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Product: HP Mini 110 Laptop Computer
Model Number: HP Mini 110-1046NR
serial number: CNU00705LJ
Product Number: VJ659UA#ABA
Runs Windows XP

Hello everyone!!

I have a HP netbook 110,(actually it is not mine it is my sisters) and it came preinstalled with roxio back on track, Well i did a disc defrag and when i restarted it, it gave me an error just after booting up saying "bootmgr is compressed" hit ctrl/alt/delete to restart on a black screen. hp directed me to download 2 downloads by roxio at

http://www.roxio.com/go/bootmgrfix

which has 2 downloads but some how when ever i try to download the first utility it gives this error: The maximum allowable downloads for this update has been reached. This is a temporary restriction. Please check back in a few days." well, whoever answered the question for someone in this forum that was having the same issue as me was sent to a link to download the Roxio Back On Track Repair Kit so i have that one. but now i also need the other file on that page called Back On Track Repair Kit Setup Guide but it wont allow me to download that file either. It doesnt have a download button like the first download did, just underlined and it just sits there when you click on it?? It wont start any download of any kind!!...The HP people directed me to this website for a step by step solution to fix my problem----

(http://h10025.www1.h....s&lc=en&dlc=en)

Just cut and paste in your browser and you'll see what i'm talking about. i did try to email roxio but they wont help me with any solutions to the problem im having.. This is my sisters laptop and if she knew i had a problem like i'm having she would never speak to me again. And i know i didnt do anything to cause the issue but i need both those files to fix the laptop. i would really appreciate any advice or help you could give me!!
ok well i finally found a working link for roxio so i tried the flashdrive option to fix the bootmgr is compressed issue but when i hit enter after inserting the flashdrive into the laptop it says that it cant load operating system? What am i doing wrong??>> PLEASE HELP!! IM SO DESPERATE TO GET THIS ISSUE FIXED BECAUSE OF IT BEING MY SISTERS LAPTOP AND SHE IS GOING TO KILL ME IF SHE THINKS I DID SOMETHING TO MESS IT UP WHEN ALL I DID WAS A DISC DEFRAG AND THEN WHEN I RESTARTED THE LAPTOP IT CAME UP WITH THE BLACK SCREEN WITH THE BOOTMGR IS COMPRESSED HIT CTRL/ALT/DELETE TO RESTART!!!

I have a hp mini 110 notebook that has a message when i turn it on that says "bootmgr is compressed...hit ctrl/alt/delete to restart computer but when i do that i get the same thing over and over...i did try to do the flashdrive (4GB Flashdrive) solution which is what HP directed me to do online (http://h10025.www1.h...us&lc=en&dlc=en) and that didnt work....the computer runs windows xp please if anyone can help i would greatly appreciate it!!

when i tried the flashdrive option it says on the laptop that it cant load operating system?? what am i doing wrong?

OR CAN I DOWNLOAD WINDOWS XP ON THE 4 GB FLASHDRIVE THEN INSTALL IT ON THE LAPTOP? AND IF SO, HOW WOULD I DO THAT? I DO HAVE A WINDOWS XP CD DISC THAT I CAN DOWNLOAD IT TO that FLASHDRIVE IF IT IS POSSIBLE TO DO THAT BUT I WOULD NEED SOMEONE TO TELL ME STEP BY STEP HOW TO DO THAT...PLEASE?

I have a windows xp cd that goes to my moms computer and i have that 4GB flashdrive is it possible to reinstall windows xp on the flashdrive then install windows xp back on the laptop? of course you all probably know the laptop has no cd drive so the flashdrive option is the only way to install it but how do i install windows xp on the flashdrive and then install it on the laptop?

Sorry if it seemed like i was telling you the same thing 2 times....i've been trying so hard to get this issue worked out and so far noone has been able to help me i would really appreciate it if someone could tell me how to do it in layman terms cuz im not that great on solving computer issues and i dont have the money to take it to anyone to get fixed!! But my sister is gonna kill me if i dont do something! I know that if i reinstall windows xp it will wipe out whatever files she has on her laptop but she doesnt need anything on the computer..just a working computer again!!

Please...if anyone can help me with this issue i would greatly appreciate it and i also hope i am posting this in the right place if not could someone direct me to the right forum for this problem?

Thanks so much, Joy

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Have you looked at this website?

http://wintoflash.com/home/en/

or

http://liliputing.co...lash-drive.html

IF you don't mind losing any data and programs installed on the netbook and starting with the laptop as it was when it was bought new.

Here is the link that gives the actual procedure to do Recovery if you have an intact Recovery partition.

http://h10025.www1.h...eWithoutWindows

If you are unable to perform Recovery using these steps, I would suggest you order Recovery kit with the help of the procedure available in the following HP link.

http://h10025.www1.h...cname=c00810334

SRX660

joysga37

joysga37

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello and thank you SRS660!! I have downloaded the windows xp on the flash drive and i actually thought my issues were finally resolved but now the computer wont start windows xp unless that flash drive is inserted and i still have to hit f9 to start windows xp from the flash drive. If i dont have the flashdrive inserted it goes back to bootmgr is compressed hit ctrl/alt/delete to restart,,

Can you tell me what im doing wrong or what needs t0 be done to not have to use the flashdrive ?? I can get my computer to start and actuallly i am using the hp mini 110 now but the only way is to continue to boot from the flashdrive. can you PLEASE help me figure out what to do to fix this issue??

Thank you!!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
The stage you are at now was never going to solve your orignal problem.
Effectively you are using that flash drive to boot the Windows installation on your HP.
The boot files on that flash drive NTLDR etc are what is now booting your XP.
You could have installed those files on the flash drive, without all of the windows installation and you would have achieved the same result.
Perhaps this will help explain where you are now.

http://komku.blogspo...windows-xp.html

scroll down to the images before the Install XP as normal.

You now have an option.
PLEASE NOTE either of these procedures are NOT without risk and it maybe that your personal files and other data could be lost if it does not work.
IT is therefore vital that you secure your personal data first. If this is important to you.

The risk is LOW but no operation of this sort is without risk.

When you access your original installtion on the HP go Start, My Computer and right click the HDD, normally C drive, carrying Windows. The click Properties.
On the window that opens, look at the entry Compress Data on this drive to save space. IS that box checked.
If it is now look at the Used space of the drive and free space.
This is both in diagram form and above the diagram or pie chart it is listed as well.

Please REPORT if that box is checked and what is the free space and capacity of the drive.
If it is checked, then you can uncheck it and click Apply and OK.
I advise you NOT to do this until you have posted.

An alternative is to access the Recovery Console from the Flash drive and initiate various commands.
Does the flash drive include the recovery console. that again is on that link I sent.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 29 September 2011 - 02:34 PM.

joysga37

joysga37

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
"When you access your original installtion on the HP go Start, My Computer and right click the HDD, normally C drive, carrying Windows. The click Properties.
On the window that opens, look at the entry Compress Data on this drive to save space. IS that box checked.
If it is now look at the Used space of the drive and free space.
This is both in diagram form and above the diagram or pie chart it is listed as well.

Please REPORT if that box is checked and what is the free space and capacity of the drive.
If it is checked, then you can uncheck it and click Apply and OK.
I advise you NOT to do this until you have posted."

hey!! Thank u so much for the help..ok to answer your questions: The box IS NOT checked beside the Compress Drive To Save Disc Space. Now, the used space says 11,388,399,616 bytes or 10.6 GB. The free space is 148,641,595,392 bytes or 138 GB. The total capacity of the drive is 160,029,995,008 bytes or 148 GB.

Actually, the computer looks just like it did before- none of the personal data is lost like i expected it to be after i thought i downloaded the windows xp all over again. everything looks the same before the problem started on the bootmgr is compressed problem started. So, if there is a way to fix it without losing any files that would be great (or if i have to lose my personal info its ok too.) Please write back and tell me what i should do from this point on please!! And thank you sooo much for the help!!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

after i thought i downloaded the windows xp all over again.

Can you please clarify exactly what you have done, you need to go to that link I sent you.

You have basically copied the Windows XP CD to a flash drive.
Now going back to the link. and reading it.
What have you then done.

1. Simply booted from the Flash Drive
2. Entered the recovery console and run commands
3. Installed Windows from the Flash Drive - I AM MORE OR LESS certain that you have NOT done this, as the usual install would format the drive on the HP.

It is vital before we proceed that you tell me exactly what you have done.

joysga37

joysga37

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello. Sorry but im not that computer literate so i must not have downloaded the windows xp from the flash drive. I DID NOT do this:

"On computer without CD/DVD drive (e.g. Aspire One)
you must change the first boot order to USB Flash drive from BIOS. How to do this?

Change Boot order from BIOS:
This is just for example (Aspire 4710)
your BIOS interface may be slightly different

Step 1:
Plug a Flash drive into a USB port on your computer/laptop
Step 2:
Turn on your laptop then hit F2 rapidly (or Del for some other machine)
then go to Boot tab > change boot order > then hit F10 key to Save and Exit"

What i did was put the flashdrive in then started the computer then hit F9 til the boot flashdrive came up. (there are only 2 options to choose and the second one was usb boot flashdrive option so i picked that) I selected the second one which was the USB BOOT Flashdrive and then went to the line that says 2nd GUI Mode setup, ect., ect. and thats all i've done. I thought i had downloaded the windows xp by that point and then when i tried to restart the computer it went right back to bootmgr is compressed. So I put the flashdrive back in and restarted the computer and hit f9 and then went to the 2nd Gui Mode because at that point it was loading windows xp automatically when i just went to the 2nd GUI Mode setup, continue setup + first start of windows. Thats as far as i got so now i have to still use the flashdrive to boot windows xp so i guess i havent actually reinstalled it on here. Does that make sense what i did? Can you understand exactly what i did by the way i explained it? i hope so!! Thanks again for the help! So, what do you think i should do now?
Joy

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Boot from the flash drive.
Go to the XP on the HP.

Go Start, My Computer and then double click the C Drive to open it.
Then go to the top bar of that window and click Tools, Folder Options and then on that window the View Tab.
On the advanced settings, scroll down to Hidden Files and folders and then check the entry SHOW Hidden files and folders.
Then scroll down again just two lines to HIDE protected Operating system files and uncheck that. AGREE the warning.
When you have done that Click Apply and OK.

Now on My Computer on which you have previously opened C Drive, find the file NTLDR, right click that file and click Properties. .What is the size of the file please - probably about 244Kb. . Click the Advanced button and is that file checked for compress.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 29 September 2011 - 06:00 PM.

joysga37

joysga37

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
"find the file NTLDR, right click that file and click Properties. .What is the size of the file please - probably about 244Kb. . Click the Advanced button and is that file checked for compress."

Ok on the NTLDR file it says 244kb for the size and that file IS NOT checked for compress. Just the top two are checked but NOT the box for Compress contents to save disc space.

Thanks Joy

p.s. I did exactly what you said in the first part of your post about showing the hidden files. then went to HIDE protected Operating system files and unchecked that. then i did AGREE to the warning.
then Clicked Apply and OK.
did all the above like you said to do.

Edited by joysga37, 29 September 2011 - 06:23 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Check the same with NTDETECT please.

Then open the file titled boot (configuration settings ) and it will open in Notepad.Minimise that window and then when you are ready to reply. Click the edit tab, click select all. Click the edit tab again and click COPY

On your reply right click and click paste.
The Boot.ini file will appear in your reply.

Advertisements

joysga37

joysga37

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Check the same with NTDETECT please.

Then open the file titled boot (configuration settings ) and it will open in Notepad.Minimise that window and then when you are ready to reply. Click the edit tab, click select all. Click the edit tab again and click COPY

On your reply right click and click paste.
The Boot.ini file will appear in your reply.

ok - NTDETECT file says 46.4kb and it IS NOT checked to compress contents to save disc space.

copied and pasted from notepad from file named BOOT configuration setting:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

btw....just wondering about this but there is a bootmgr file there also and i checked to see if it was compressed and it is --- would unchecking compress contents to save disc space fix the issue?? that is what it keeps saying when i start the computer.....bootmgr is compressed..hit ctrl/alt/delete to restart but it doesnt do anything but go right back to bootmgr is compressed. just wondering about that btw....

thanks,
Joy

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
You should NOT have a bootmgr file in XP. It is for instance in Vista.
Is there a fiolder titled BOOT. and when you open are there files titled BCD. etc.

Has someone TRIED to install Vista on this computer OR anything connected with it.
I really do need to know, all the problems you have had and all that has been tried by way of installing .
For example it is posible to make a dual boot system with Vista and XP.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 29 September 2011 - 07:16 PM.

joysga37

joysga37

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
"You should NOT have a bootmgr file in XP. It is for instance in Vista.
Is there a fiolder titled BOOT. and when you open are there file titled BCD. etc."

Yes there is a folder titled Boot and when i opened it there are 2 files titled: BCD file (256kb) and BCD Text Document (1kb)

"Has someone TRIED to install Vista on this computer OR anything connected with it.
I really do need to know, all the problems you have had and all that has ben tried by way of installing .
For exmaple it is posible to make a dual boot system with Vista and XP."

Noone has tried to install Vista that i know of....but this is my sisters computer(she had asked me to set up a wireless connection which is why i had it and so i did that and then i did a disc defrag and disc cleanup like i do on my desktop and when i tried to restart it it came up with the bootmgr is compressed message and wouldnt load windows. which is when all my problems started. but i seriously doubt that Vista has ever been tried on here. I only used a windows xp installation disc when i downloaded it on the flashdrive. None of the computers we have even use Vista so i wouldnt think it would be possible that it is on here. None of my sisters other computers run vista either...they all run windows xp...they are desktop computers..

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
It appears it is something peculair to Hp and Roxio after a lot of research I have found it.
Here are the instructions.
http://img.roxio.com...otmgr-error.pdf

I suggest you open them and SAVE them as soon as possible.
I had to register to obtain it.

Here is the download link.
https://www.roxio.co...tdownloads.aspx

Do the same, SAVE the file on another computer and then follow the instructions.
I am signing off now it is 0231.
I will pick the thread up sometime around 1800hrs.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Further to my last and just before I go.
As I have said, these solutions can always go wrong.
The risk may be small BUT my advice is backup your personal data FIRST.