Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Internet explorer[CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

scrooge

scrooge

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Every time I go on line, Internet explorer goes straight to

http://www.microsoft...ad/ieupdate.htm
or
http://v5.windowsupd...t.aspx?ln=en-us

I have to hit the home button every time to go to google otherwise I just end up at the microsoft update site.I am getting a bit worried that I may have been compromised.
Also should Internet Explorer be version 5.0 or 6.0
Since my last problem was fixed(many many thanks to you guys) I have been clean.
I have Microsoft antispyware Beta 1. running.I use Adaware Professional and Ad watch ,Spy bot search&destroy and spyware blaster.
I use Avg free as my anti virus guard.
I would appreciate your thoughts on the matter. :tazz:
;) ;) :) :) :)

Advertisements

scrooge

scrooge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Just to make things straight, the homepage is set to www.google.com and i have zone alarm firewall installed (freeversion)

please help me with my dillema :tazz:

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go!

Please Click here!, and follow the recommendations in the guide.

If you're still having trouble, We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool, Hijack This. Follow the instructions in step five of this guide, and post your log here.

Most of what Hijack This lists will be harmless AND essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

scrooge

scrooge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Every time I go on line, Internet explorer goes straight to

http://www.microsoft...ad/ieupdate.htm
or
http://v5.windowsupd...t.aspx?ln=en-us

I have to hit the home button every time to go to google otherwise I just end up at the microsoft update site.I am getting a bit worried that I may have been compromised.
Also should Internet Explorer be version 5.0 or 6.0
Since my last problem was fixed(many many thanks to you guys) I have been clean.
I have Microsoft antispyware Beta 1. running.I use Adaware Professional and Ad watch ,Spy bot search&destroy and spyware blaster.
I use Avg free as my anti virus guard.
I would appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

what should i do?

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
No, you were not hijacked by Microsoft lol, you probably need a windows update. But, don't worry about that now. Just follow the instructions in my previous post to make sure there isn't anything bad in your computer. :tazz:

Edited by bananafanafo, 01 June 2005 - 01:50 AM.

scrooge

scrooge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
the problem isn't the fact that the update comes up, the truth is, it says to update all the time but when i do it says there is no update. this is what i dont understand, if there are no updates, why does internet explorer keep coming up with microsoft update? if you would like, i can take a screenshot for you
here is my log file as well

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 5:54:21 PM, on 1/06/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Canon\MultiPASS4\MPSERVIC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\essspk.exe
C:\Program Files\Canon\MultiPASS4\MPTBox.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\jusched.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\QCDriver3\LVCOMS.EXE
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Professional\Ad-Watch.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\ImageStudio\LowLight.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\OUTLOOK.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe
C:\downloads\Hijack This\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = proxy.jc.com.au:8080
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = jc.com.au;aust.com;192.168.100.1;<local>
O1 - Hosts: 64.91.255.87 www.dcsresearch.com
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NVMixerTray] "C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NvMixer\NVMixerTray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EssSpkPhone] essspk.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPTBox] C:\Program Files\Canon\MultiPASS4\MPTBox.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LVCOMS] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\QCDriver3\LVCOMS.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechGalleryRepair] C:\Program Files\Logitech\ImageStudio\ISStart.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechImageStudioTray] C:\Program Files\Logitech\ImageStudio\LogiTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AWMON] "C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Professional\Ad-Watch.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [RTEGPRS] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\RTE\RTEGPRS.exe" tray
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Logitech Desktop Messenger.lnk = C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\LDMConf.exe
O4 - Global Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmwordtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\npjpi150_01.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\npjpi150_01.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn...pDownloader.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{8C83E7D5-1E78-4868-95D5-BCB91500B011}: NameServer = 203.2.193.124 203.2.192.124
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Adpiddwcdsvm - Unknown owner - (no file)
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Macromedia Licensing Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macromedia Shared\Service\Macromedia Licensing.exe
O23 - Service: MpService - Canon Inc. - C:\Program Files\Canon\MultiPASS4\MPSERVIC.EXE
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Ok, that's not a problem, Microsoft Anti-Spyware is the one that puts them back because those were the pages saved. We'll use it to change it back to your desired homepage.

First, do you know what this is: C:\Program Files\Common Files\RTE\RTEGPRS.exe

Next, Run HiJackThis. Place a check next to the following items and click FIX CHECKED:

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)

Then to reset your homepage follow these instructions:
Open Antispyware.
In the right upper corner go to Advanced tools
Please click on 'Change restore setting to a new URL'. Change it to something you like to use as your homepage.
If prompted for the change, allow it.
Then, when the left hand side is showing a 'good' restore, press 'restore this setting now'.

scrooge

scrooge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
as much as i would like to thank you for helping me, your advice didnt work, perhaps you could elaborate on it a little or give me a new angle on this.
as of now, im in over my head. i'll let you do the talking

scrooge

scrooge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
when i looked for that folder you showed me, i couldnt fint it anywhere (RTE)
i checked the 'commonfiles' folder but to no avail
any help would be grand

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Ok, so you don't know what it is...

Were you not able to follow my directions using Microsoft Anti-Spyware? What is the problem you're having there?

Post a new HijackThis log.

Advertisements

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
I found some information on the C:\Program Files\Common Files\RTE\RTEGPRS.exe

According to what I found, it's a program that allows you to upload pictures from a cell phone. Is this accurate? Since the RTE folder is not there then we can remove it from startup.

scrooge

scrooge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
no, i followed your anitspyware thing, but it didnt make a difference, it wasnt set to the update either, it had my normal homepage in there

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 6:54:54 PM, on 1/06/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Canon\MultiPASS4\MPSERVIC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\essspk.exe
C:\Program Files\Canon\MultiPASS4\MPTBox.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\jusched.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\QCDriver3\LVCOMS.EXE
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Professional\Ad-Watch.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\ImageStudio\LowLight.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\OUTLOOK.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Canon\MultiPASS4\MPDBMgr.exe
C:\downloads\Hijack This\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = proxy.jc.com.au:8080
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = jc.com.au;aust.com;192.168.100.1;<local>
O1 - Hosts: 64.91.255.87 www.dcsresearch.com
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NVMixerTray] "C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NvMixer\NVMixerTray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EssSpkPhone] essspk.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPTBox] C:\Program Files\Canon\MultiPASS4\MPTBox.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LVCOMS] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\QCDriver3\LVCOMS.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechGalleryRepair] C:\Program Files\Logitech\ImageStudio\ISStart.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechImageStudioTray] C:\Program Files\Logitech\ImageStudio\LogiTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AWMON] "C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Professional\Ad-Watch.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [RTEGPRS] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\RTE\RTEGPRS.exe" tray
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Logitech Desktop Messenger.lnk = C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\LDMConf.exe
O4 - Global Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmwordtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\npjpi150_01.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\npjpi150_01.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn...pDownloader.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{8C83E7D5-1E78-4868-95D5-BCB91500B011}: NameServer = 203.2.193.124 203.2.192.124
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Macromedia Licensing Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macromedia Shared\Service\Macromedia Licensing.exe
O23 - Service: MpService - Canon Inc. - C:\Program Files\Canon\MultiPASS4\MPSERVIC.EXE
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
I'll let you know right now, that it is not malware related. :tazz:

Go to Start->Run and type "Services.msc" (without quotes) then hit Ok
Scroll down and find the below service:

Adpiddwcdsvm

When you find it, double-click on it. In the next window that opens, click the Stop button (if it's already stopped, that's fine, just disable it per the next sentence). Then click on properties and under the General Tab, change the Startup Type to Disabled. Now hit Apply and then Ok.

Run HiJackThis. Click on "None of the above, just start the program". Now, click on the "Config" button (bottom right), then click on "Misc Tools", then click on "Delete an NT Service" a window will pop up. Enter the below item into that field (copy and paste):

Adpiddwcdsvm

Click ok.

It should pull up information about the service, when it asks if you want to reboot now click YES.

After reboot, Run HiJackThis. Place a check next to the following item and click FIX CHECKED:

Close HiJackThis.

Then Open Internet Explorer, go to Tools > Internet Options

Enter the homepage you want under the General tab. Click "Apply" click "OK". If prompted by Microsoft Antispyware to allow the change, allow it.

Edited by bananafanafo, 01 June 2005 - 03:01 AM.

scrooge

scrooge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
i did exactly what you said to the last detail, but nothing has changed that i can see, i even changed the homepage, but it still keeps coming up with the same windows update page.

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Download, install, and run CleanUp! (so the below scan won't take as long because cleanup will clear temporary files and cookies) Cleanup! deletes EVERYTHING out of temporary/temp files and does not make backups. If you have anything you need in temporary folders, back it up or move it prior to running cleanup!

Then, please run this online virus scan:
ActiveScan

Copy the results of the ActiveScan and paste them here along with a new HiJackThis log.