Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP !DNS Server ERROR and SLOW connections

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
You can use a HOSTS file to block ads, banners, 3rd party Cookies, 3rd party page counters, web bugs, and even most hijackers. This is accomplished by blocking the connection(s) that supplies these little gems.

Example - the following entry 127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net blocks all files supplied by that DoubleClick Server to the web page you are viewing. This also prevents the server from tracking your movements. Why? ... because in certain cases "Ad Servers" like Doubleclick (and many others) will try silently to open a separate connection on the webpage you are viewing, record your movements then follow you to additional sites you may visit.AND IT ADDS TIME TO THE PAGE LOADING TIME...
MVPS HOSTS now includes most major parasites, hijackers and unwanted Adware/Spyware programs!
you can use the custom host file located here...
read down the page until you find the hosts.zip download
special instructions for windows 7 here ...

I've both used it and recommended it for at least three years
you will notice a faster loading of web pages because it does not have to connect and download those ad's

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Happyrock
Thanks again for coming in, please stay around on it.

1. Norton?
Norton 360 Premier Edition
(5.1.0.29) Symantec Corporation 5/17/11 Posted Image Norton 360 Premier Edition
(5.1.0.29) Symantec Corporation 5/17/11

Edited by Macboatmaster, 14 October 2011 - 05:23 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Thanks again for coming in, please stay around on it.

I'm following it and you can always PM me... :)

Jerry67

Jerry67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Ok I have now installed the Hosts file, and I really appreciate your attention to my problem. Is there some way you can check to see if I have it installed properly?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I will have to leave that aspect to Happyrock. My knowledge of that, as against the checking of the hosts file and the replacement with the default host, is not good enough to advice you.
You will have seen Happyrock`s post 33., so he will respond when he is online.

Am I now able to presume that when you now open a browser and any website, you do not receive errors. It is simply slow.
Or am I being presumptious.

My question is,as per the quote from a few posts ago.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 15 October 2011 - 07:19 AM.

Jerry67

Jerry67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
I still get that reload error. today when I logged in I had to reload my home page about 6 times until it finally took. I did what happyrock suggested and I am not sure if that is right because now some of my links will not load.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

now some of my links will not load

copy and paste a few of them (links)for me...
if you want to see if the hosts file loaded properly click on this link http://www.doubleclick.net/
you should get a blank page (all white)and at the lower left side it will say done

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Please carry on with happyrock`s advice on his last.
I am NOT leaving you, that would be the last thing I would do, but I am out of my depth on that HOSTS file in relation to the MVPS aspect.

I do not wish to give you the wrong impression at THIS stage, but it has been suggested that IF you have actually USED the programs in my post 19, that have control of the registry in one aspect or another, that you may never recover from this without a "reinstall" of one form or another. on that Dell Sudio 1558.

AFTER you have done what happyrock asks
From your first post on this thread

If you use a proxy server, check your proxy settings or check with your network administrator to make sure the proxy server is working.

On IE Tools, Internet Options, Connections, LAN SETTINGS button and is Use proxy server checked.
Firefox Tools, Options, Advanced, Network tab, Configure How Firefox connect to the Internet, Settings button. Check if Manual Porxy is checked..
Happyrock actually suggested this to me before - Sorry forgot this point until I just reviewed.

Jerry67

Jerry67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Ok I have clicked on the link that you gave me and this is the message I got.

This webpage is not available
Google Chrome's connection attempt to www.doubleclick.net was rejected. The website may be down, or your network may not be properly configured.
Here are some suggestions:
Reload this webpage later.
Check your Internet connection. Restart any router, modem, or other network devices you may be using.
Add Google Chrome as a permitted program in your firewall's or antivirus software's settings. If it is already a permitted program, try deleting it from the list of permitted programs and adding it again.
If you use a proxy server, check your proxy settings or contact your network administrator to make sure the proxy server is working. If you don't believe you should be using a proxy server, adjust your proxy settings: Go to the wrench menu > Options > Under the Hood > Change proxy settings... > LAN Settings and deselect the "Use a proxy server for your LAN" checkbox.
Error 102 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED): The server refused the connection.

So I did not get a blank page and it did not say done anywhere.

As far as I know I am not using a proxy server, I think that is only if I decide to use Tor which is very infrequent.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

As far as I know I am not using a proxy server,

Well could you please check as per my post 38

Advertisements

Jerry67

Jerry67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
I have already done that check I am sorry that I did not explain that in my last post. Also I never used the sophos program or polipo and I uninstalled them it is a good thing I did not know how to use them. I have used ccleaner an cclean and I have used Tor. So I checked about the proxy in IE and Firefox and there was none.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
From happyrocks`s post
if you want to see if the hosts file loaded properly click on this link http://www.doubleclick.net/
you should get a blank page (all white)and at the lower left side it will say done

The MVPS hosts file he sent the link for should have blocked attempts to connect to the double click. net

Your reply to happyrock, suggests that it has not done.

I suggest as a temporary measure until happyrock is online that you go back to my post 28 and reset the hosts file to the standard host.
If the Microsoft Fixit appears and your computer accepts it this will do it automatically.

If you wish to save the MVPS hosts file you can follow the MANUAL procedure in that link to rename it.
Note the instructions for Windows 7.

If that does not work, I would disable your Norton Internet Security. HOWEVER then ensure you ONLY go to a trusted site, such as Microsoft Updates.
Norton is, in my opinion not a bad protection system, but it does have some reputation for slowing systems down.
There are quite a number of experienced users that will not even consider it.
There is I think a very slight chance that an update to Norton, not in itself possibly, but in respect of your particular settings etc may have caused this problem.
You will see that I did make brief mention in a previous post my 32 where I replied to hapyrock

Edited by Macboatmaster, 16 October 2011 - 09:29 AM.

Jerry67

Jerry67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
I went back and manually deleted the HOSTS file and then renamed HOSTS.MVP to HOSTS this was the directions that I was given and I really appreciate the help you are trying to give to me.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Jerry67

I am sure it is me not catching on to what you are meaning.
1. Have to re-established a default hosts file.
as I understood the situation following the MVPS hosts file installation you said

did what happyrock suggested and I am not sure if that is right because now some of my links will not load.

2. It appears on face value that it did not install properly - the MVPS hosts file as you did not get this

It still actually tried to load the page, which was if I am not mistaken the same error as we started with on your post 1.

3. I suppose it is too late now unless you know which they were , but happyrock asked you to post the links which would not load.

4. Did you see the continue to special instructions for Windows 7 on the MVPS link.

happyrock is NOT online at the moment please install the default hosts file from the link I gave you.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
When you have tried all the above, I am signing off for tonight in about 30 mins.
PLEASE do try the Norton suggestion.
It would NOT be the first time I have known Norton cause problems with connections.

If that is no good do this please
In a Elevated Command Prompt
.1. Open a elevated command prompt.

2. To Enable the Hidden Built-in Administrator Account

A) In the elevated command prompt, copy and paste the command below and press Enter. (See screenshot below)

net user administrator /active:yes

Posted Image

B) Go to step 3n

3. Close the elevated command prompt.

4. Log off, and you will now see the built-in Administrator account log on icon added (enabled) or removed (disabled) from the log on screen. (See screeenshot below)
NOTE: Click on the Administrator icon to log on to the built-in Administrator account.

and then try the connections.
IMPORTANT CHECK that you have the AV commissioned before browsing the web on this account.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 16 October 2011 - 07:04 PM.