Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HELP !DNS Server ERROR and SLOW connections

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
sorry guys I've had a setback on my eye...i have to use a magnifying glass to see the screen and use the keyboard

Advertisements

Jerry67

Jerry67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
I am very sorry about your eye. I have appreciated all that you guys are trying to do with me and I have to say that the last post I got about the administrator login etc has me totally confused. Now I have no idea what I am doing and why. can you give me a little background on what is causing my problem and what these steps we are going through is trying to accomplish? Thank you SO much for everything.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

last post I got about the administrator login etc has me totally confused. Now I have no idea what I am doing and why. can you give me a little background on what is causing my problem and what these steps we are going through is trying to accomplish? Thank you SO much for everything.

May I temporarily refer back to my previous post.
It appears that the MVPS host file did not install properly OR if it did it has not fixed the problem,
as happyrock posted

if you want to see if the hosts file loaded properly click on this link http://www.doubleclick.net/
you should get a blank page (all white)and at the lower left side it will say done

and you replied that you DID NOT receive that response.

I therefore would like you to reset the host file to the deafult using the Microsoft link I previously sent.
We NEVER actually established that you did not have a line in your orignal hosts file causing the orginal problem.
AS on my post 42

To deal NOW with your actual question.
1. Have you tried the Norton - disabling.
It is worth a try.

2. Re if both of those are not the solution tried ONE at a time and test after each then
Using the built in Admin Account will eliminate the possibility of this being caused by another program, setting, registry key value on YOUR User account.

Jerry67

Jerry67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Ok yes I did reset the hosts file and I am currently running with disabled Norton. I will let you know if that helps or not. I will try it for a while but I am nervous about running without protection. I'll let you know what happens during the time I run without it.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Jerry67

CAUTION I stressed ONLY to go to a trusted site like Windows updates.
NOT TO BROWSE the internet.

If that does not work, I would disable your Norton Internet Security. HOWEVER then ensure you ONLY go to a trusted site, such as Microsoft Updates.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 18 October 2011 - 02:05 PM.

Jerry67

Jerry67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Yes I appreciate that and I am being extremely careful.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well do not keep me in suspense for too long how is it.?
Only joking when you are ready

Jerry67

Jerry67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
It seems a little better, but it is not solved. When I logged in this morning I still got the stall and had to reload twice, I used to have to reload 10 times so at least that much is better. I hope it stays at least that good. I just do not understand why I get the DNS server errors.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
In that case I would I think grab the bull by the horns so to speak.

I would completely uninstall NORTON and install your choice from these
http://www.geekstogo...yware-software/

I personally use Microsoft Security Essentials on all of my five computers.
It has NEVER let me down, but that said, I do not subject it to the extensive test of AV software by visiting doubtful sites.
I also use Web of Trust.

You will need to run this to ensure that all of Norton is removed.
https://www-secure.s...n=1&pvid=f-home

I would be extremely interested to see what happens if you do as I suggested and try the Admin account BEFORE yo do all this and see what happens there.

Jerry67

Jerry67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Ok, I kinda hate to give up Norton since I paid for it but you haven't let me down yet so I will give it a shot.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well you will not have to give it up, will you because if it does not solve the porblem you presumably have the access key to the product or whatever it is called on Norton.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 19 October 2011 - 04:12 PM.

Jerry67

Jerry67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Unfortunately when I logged on tonight, same old problem. It took about 6 reloads to connect.

Jerry67

Jerry67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
same old problem tonight, I reloaded 6 times.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Try the admin account please

Jerry67

Jerry67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Ok I did that once but will do it again. Thank you.