Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need software to merge folders while detecting duplicates and early/

• Please log in to reply

adifrank

adifrank

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
My files and folders are in a bit of a mess. I work with two different computers and an additional laptop. I also have a bunch of external hard drives where I store stuff, or use for backup. I work with lots of video, audio, design and photos. I try to be as organized as I can, but as the months go by I have the sense that not all is in order.

I've come to the point where I feel that I MUST re-organize and properly place my data and also back it up in a way that I'll know exactly what is where.

I spent much of today just going through all my hard drives (internal and external) and listing what is stored in each.

As suspected I have a certain amount of duplicates. I'm not sure though if these are accidental, or backups.

In short:
I'm looking for some software (preferably freeware) that can help me compare data between two hard drives, or two folders, and tell me two things:
1. If there are any duplicate files
2. If there are 2 (or more) files supposedly the same, but one has been more recently modified and therefore a bit different (size and/or date modified).

For example: I have a My Pictures folder on a laptop and a My Pictures folder on a desktop and yet a third My Pictures folder on an external drive. I want to compare the three folders and combine them into one up-to-date ultimate My Pictures folder - which includes all images from all three folders, yet with only the most recent version of the same image and no duplicates.

Thanks

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Adifrank,

There are a number of utilities to do this. Looking through the list I suggest that you might try this: http://www.guiffy.com/. Free 30day trial.

adifrank

adifrank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Thanks starjax.
Meanwhile I found this which praises a free program called Duplicate Cleaner which seems to also compare files and locate duplicates. Do both programs basically preform the same task? Or are they different animals?

Guiffy, which you recommended seems much more advanced in any case. I won't bug you much more about it... just one last question:
Since Duplicate cleaner is free, I'd like to ask if you think Duplicate Cleaner would be sufficient for my case? Or will I be much better off going for the Guiffy and trying it out for 21 days?

Thanks.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Personally, i'm one to do things manually. I'm just a bit paranoid about data that way. However, if you have thousands of documents, pictures, and so forth it can get tedious.

Found a review of it hear: http://download.cnet...4-10584403.html
So long as you get to review the changes before applying them then I say you don't have anything to loose except for time. If there is a lot of data to compare, just let it do its thing.

adifrank

adifrank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Thanks. I started using Duplicate Cleaner. It does let you review files before deleting them. I'm using this software in combination with FreeFileSync.
So far I think between the two programs I'm getting the job done. Thanks!

AnnaTaye

AnnaTaye

• Pip
  • 2 posts
few days ago i face same problem but now i got a solution about duplicates files. MY friend suggesting to try "Duplicate Files Deleter" its relay good. You can search by Google those file name.

alexanderjohnny

alexanderjohnny

• Pip
  • 1 posts

You can use Duplicate File Deleter its the best way to delete all types of duplicate file.

I had a similar problem many times. The duplicate files are such that they my hard drives used to end up with bad sectors. Also, there was always a shortage of free space. I regularly use "Duplicate Files Deleter" when i feel that my computer is lagging. You should try it too and i'm sure that you won't regret it.
It can delete all duplicate files eg.-music,EXE. and same name files etc.

OpenThinker

OpenThinker

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just discovered Duplicate Cleaner Pro 4.1.2 and I think I love it, Ive seen cautions about program files. This duplicate cleaner pro has a default setting to protect important system folders. Do you think as long as I dont delete any files that are program files I will be safe from doing any harm to my system?
Also, is it safe to delete 0 bytes files? With there be any time that would not be safe?
If the hash is the same, then are the files exact duplicates?

Edited by OpenThinker, 12 October 2019 - 01:17 PM.

AuraTodd

AuraTodd

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Found a review of it hear: http://download.cnet...4-10584403.html

Is duplicate cleaner very good?  I used to use a programme called Shoebox which has closed.

adifrank

adifrank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Found a review of it hear: http://download.cnet...4-10584403.html

Is duplicate cleaner very good?  I used to use a programme called Shoebox which has closed.

I haven't used it for quite a while. I think this thread was from about 8 years ago : )

It was useful then, but I can't really say how it is today, or if there is anything better

jammenpepecoll

jammenpepecoll

• Pip
  • 9 posts

programme called Shoebo really works good, try it