Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Some programs won't connect to internet

• Please log in to reply

shakazulu

shakazulu

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I first noticed it when my antivir would do its daily update that an error would occur because it cant connect to internet. Also my Google earth will not connect, as well as a few other programs. I tried turning off firewall, allowing those programs through firewall, etc. All other programs, games, browser etc. that need internet connection are working just fine.

I need help......

thanks

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts
Hi and welcome to the GeeksToGo forums, sorry to hear of the problems with your Internet.....
When you cannot connect to a particular site there are 3 fairly common problems that might be at the root of the issue.

1 Your firewall, either software or hardware(that is to say one built in to your your router) may be blocking access, or your antivirus may be acting in a similar way

2 The sites you wish to visit are being blocked by other software on your computer.

3 Your ISP may have set up a block

Here are some suggestions for you:

4 Allow the sites you wish to visit into your trusted sites (in IE Tools>Internet Options> Internet Security> Trusted sites.

5 Boot into safe mode with networking and see if the problem remains...but please remember that in safe mode your protections will not be operating so only do this for a brief but thorough test and whilst connected via Ethernet cable to a router or other device with a built in hardware firewall) Definitely no surfing or downloading emails etc!

6 try and use a different computer to visit the site but through your own router...does this other computer have the same problems?

7 Speak to your ISP and see if they are operating a block on the sites concerned

Let us know how you go
Regards
paws