Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

"download configuration failed" error on all Adobe updates

• Please log in to reply

aleksm42

aleksm42

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I'm having a hard time updating any Adobe products at the moment. I have tried updating both Adobe Reader X and Flash Player 10.3.183.10, and I've tried downloading them both in Firefox 7 (which I normally use), and IE 8, and I've tried the process with and without AVG security running. I've also tried the direct download links offered on the Adobe site, instead of the download manager which offers bundled software. Regardless, I'm getting the same error every time. I am able to use Windows update, and I can update other applications and plug-ins (DivX, Quicktime, etc.)

The Adobe installers seem to download OK to my desktop. I click on the download link and hit save when the pop-up box appears, although I've noticed that in Firefox, I never get the green bar 'filling up' during the download. Instead it just seems to download instantaneously. When I run the installer, the icon disappears from my desktop, and then the black Adobe update pop-up box appears. The "initializing" phase runs to 100% without any problems. But at the next step, I get the error message "download configuration failed" every time. For the Flash Player, this happens instantly, but on the Reader, it gets to 33% and then the error message appears. When I started getting the errors, I thought I'd try to fix it by uninstalling Flash entirely through Add/Remove programs and starting with the new version, but that doesn't seem to have helped, so I'm currently flashless.

I did have a virus a couple months ago--could it have corrupted something that's keeping Adobe products from updating? Or could there be something else that's conflicting with the download? My other real-time protection apart from AVG is ZoneAlarm free firewall and SpywareGuard.

Thanks for your help,

Aleks

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 5,507 posts
Try running the Flash uninstaller see link, When you try to reinstall make sure AVG is disabled and I would disable Zone alarm too.

http://kb2.adobe.com...1/tn_14157.html

aleksm42

aleksm42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thanks for your advice. I think I figured it out, though. I was running through a proxy server which I use to get on certain internal websites for my university. When I disabled the proxy, the direct download links worked, and I was able to install both updates.

Aleks

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 5,507 posts
Glad you figured it out! I had run across some mention of proxy during a search as to a possible cause. I though Zone Alarm might be causing issues too.