Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

what is this port?

• Please log in to reply

houshoin

houshoin

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
Please see the snapshot: http://img819.images...785gxh128mm.jpg

I tried to connect it to a dvd drive but the computer didn't recognize the drive, what is this port? thanks.

Advertisements

dennisK16

dennisK16

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Please see the snapshot: http://img819.images...785gxh128mm.jpg

I tried to connect it to a dvd drive but the computer didn't recognize the drive, what is this port? thanks.

when i look up the specs of your motherboard
i noticed this "1 x eSATAII 3.0 Gb/s connector (shared with 1 SATAII port)"
so i think its the shared port with the ESATA.
do you have something connected to the ESATA port? that might explain why its not registering the dvd-drive.

i found you MOBO specs here

houshoin

houshoin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Thanks for helping. What's an ESATA port? I have nothing connected to the port circled in red. As for the other 6 SATA ports, 4 ports are used for my 4 SATA hard drives, one is used for the DVD drive, and the last port is for powering up the PC.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
It's the eSATA II port made to run eSATA hard drives externally that have their own power supply. the eSATA is a SATA connector accessible from outside the computer, to provide a signal (but not power) connection for external storage devices. it runs at USB 3.0 speeds

Your Asrock Motherboard manual.
ftp://174.142.97.10/manual/M3A785GXH128M.pdf

SRX660

houshoin

houshoin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
That's nice, but how do I use this port for my dvd drive or a sata drive? Thanks.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I have read that there are problems with the ASUS esata ll port. Some people say you have to use a external eSATA drive enclosure to be able to use the connector. The reality of the port(connector) is that it is for a self powered external SATA ll 3Gb/s drive that you can just turn on and off without going thru windows to safely remove the drive.

Here's a good read on the port.
http://forums.hardwa...sata-issue/2544

SRX660