Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 won't boot (Stuck on Starting Windows)

• Please log in to reply

Sebz4n

Sebz4n

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hey!

So I just got home from the school where I live at, and thought I was gonna play a good match of Battlefield 3 on my desktop, as my laptop isn't made for gaming, but...
There is an issue with my desktop! At first when I tried to start it, it got past the "Starting Windows" screen, but then it went to an all black screen, no cursor, and got stuck.
I then tried to run repair, which failed several times, ran last known configs also a no go, and so I tried booting in to safe mod which worked.

So from safe mode I disabled both my Ati Radeon 5850 cards, and now the PC booted up fine to the desktop (at horrible resolution of course), so I uninstalled
CCC, any ATI drivers and removed the two cards in device management. I then restarted, installed all the drivers and such, but when I restarted AGAIN, the PC
got stuck at the "starting windows" screen where it just sits now :)

WHat do I do? The two cards are more or less brand new as I had them replaced not long ago!

Please help me, I need to fix this before I take off sunday, so I don't have to go about worrying at school :s

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,771 posts
Hi Sebz4n sorry to hear that you are having this issue.
Suggestions, try the cards individually and in each slot and if you are able try a known good PSU, this must have the same or a higher output than the present PSU, let us know how it goes.

Sebz4n

Sebz4n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I've had the PC for a year, I had the cards swapped a month ago via warrenty, because one of my prior 5850 died. So I know the PSU is good enough

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,771 posts
Have you tried the cards individually as suggested?

I had the cards swapped a month ago via warrenty, because one of my prior 5850 died. So I know the PSU is good enough

A bad PSU can and will cause component failure, what brand and model is the present PSU please.