Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble with an oldie but a goodie

• Please log in to reply

Quoteme

Quoteme

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Okay, so I "came across" a copy of Heroes of Might and Magic III without use of the cd, but there's just one problem: it didn't install. :tazz:

I received all the necessary folders and files (map editor and all) in a compressed .rar file. But the game doesn't show up on the "Add or Remove Programs" list, or on my start menu's "All Programs" menu, etc.

When I try to run it, it starts out fine, but then quits and gives me a message saying:

"Heroes of Might and Magic III has encountered a problem and needs to close. We apologize for the inconvenience." I'm offered a chance to send an error report at the bottom of the window.

What does this all mean? ;)

I think it means that the game, while I have all the necessary files, isn't actually installed on my computer. How do I make that happen, or otherwise resolve this problem?

Advertisements

bobthemailman

bobthemailman

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
run in compatibility mode. right click properties/ compatibility tab, then chech box that says run in compatibility mode and select the os the game was designed 4

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

Okay, so I "came across" a copy of Heroes of Might and Magic III without use of the cd, but there's just one problem: it didn't install. :tazz:

I received all the necessary folders and files (map editor and all) in a compressed .rar file.  But the game doesn't show up on the "Add or Remove Programs" list, or on my start menu's "All Programs" menu, etc.

When I try to run it, it starts out fine, but then quits and gives me a message saying:

"Heroes of Might and Magic III has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We apologize for the inconvenience."  I'm offered a chance to send an error report at the bottom of the window.

What does this all mean? ;)

I think it means that the game, while I have all the necessary files, isn't actually installed on my computer.  How do I make that happen, or otherwise resolve this problem?

View Post

Howdy:

So does that mean you pirated it from a warez site or something similiar??

Murray

antichrist666

antichrist666

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
It may just be having issues with the new, high-end computer you're probably using now. You should try using the DosBox program. It emulates the speed of an old, 90's-era computer. You can probably find it on www.abandonia.com or just Google it.

bathead

bathead

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Previously I have had the same type of problem with Star Wars Rougue Squadron.
Im sure running it in the compatibility mode of that previous OS will help