Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

second hard disk 0 not found

• Please log in to reply

rev31111

rev31111

• Pip
  • 3 posts
This is the message i get on my dell c600 when it fails to boot up, then it flashes to a blue screen with some small writing on it, then shuts off and tries to boot up again. this will continue all night, unless i go toset up or safe mode. everything was fine up until i deleted a windows media file, after that i have not been able to boot up. Please help! This is my boss's laptop that i screwd up. need to restore to factory settings or install the OS drivers.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
From the dell website.

1 Turn off the computer.

2 Turn on the computer and press the F8 key every other second until the Windows Advanced Options window appears.

3 Press the <Down Arrow> key on the keyboard and select Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

4 Press the <Enter> key on the keyboard.

5 Log in as the administrator or as a user with administrator rights.

6 At the command prompt (blinking cursor), type:
C:\Windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
and then press the <Enter> key.

If Windows XP has been reinstalled to a different location on this computer, change C:\Windows to the new path.
-------------------------------------
If the above is confusing do this.

Restore computer back to factory specs.

Restore the computer's software to original condition.

Using PC Restore in Windows XP or Media Center
Notice:
Restoring the original factory image erases ALL existing data. This includes files, folders, programs, drivers, E-mails, photos. Before performing a PC Restore, back up all personal files. If you do not back up your personal files, the data will be lost.

1 Turn on the computer.
2 When the Dell splash screen appears during the computer startup process, press and hold <Ctrl> and then press <F11>. Then, release both keys at the same time.
In the Dell PC Restore by Symantec window, click Restore. Alternatively, press <Tab> to highlight Restore, and then press <Enter>.
4 When a warning message appears stating that all data will be lost, click Confirm, or press <Tab> to highlight Confirm and then press <Enter>.

The Progress window will appear. Once the restore process starts, Dell PC Restore by Symantec usually takes about 8 to 10 minutes to finish.

When the restore process is complete, the following message will appear:
The system recovery process was successful.
5 Click Finish or press <Tab> to highlight Finish and then press <Enter> to restart the computer.The software is now installed as it was when the computer was first received.

You may noy be able to do this if the restore partition was deleted of the data removed. If so you will need to have a XP CD and the activation numbers to reinstall XP and then download the drivers from the dell website and install them. Of course you know this computer is so old it is not worth fixing if it cost money to do so.

SRX660