Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer infected with win32.ramnit.ae?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

PottedPlant

PottedPlant

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I noticed a couple of days ago that pop-ups were appearing that hadn't appeared before, 'windows command processor' and 'windows malicious software removal tool', I'm fairly sure they aren't the actual programs, but i could be wrong. I scanned my laptop with AVG and it detected the win32.ramnit.ae virus(?) but it couldn't fix or remove it. I've tried looking online and downloading another antivirus, but it seems to have been blocked I'm assuming this is because of the virus. I'm not experienced with problems like this at all and I'm not even sure how it managed to get on to my laptop.
Is there any way I can get rid of it?

Advertisements

blmadara

blmadara

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 767 posts
Hi PottedPlant, welcome to Geeks to Go. My name is blmadara and I will be helping you with your problems. Please be patient with me as I am still in training and my responses will have to be reviewed by an expert before I can post them.

First I'd like to go over some things that will help both of us.

• Read each of my posts entirely before performing my instructions. It would be helpful if you printed my instructions so you can read and check the steps as you perform them.
  • Follow the steps exactly in the order posted.
  • Please don't be afraid to ask questions. If you don't understand something, let me know before continuing.
  • If you can't perform a certain step, or you're unsure about what to do, please stop and let me know.
  • It is very important that you stay with me until the end so we make sure that we have removed all the bad stuff.
  • Please don't attach any logs to your posts unless I request it. It is easier for me if you copy and paste the logs into your reply.
  • Finally, never fix anything using other programs on your own. This can hinder my ability to see what is wrong with your computer and make it harder to clean your computer.

Now, lets get started.

Step One: OTL Custom Scan

Download OTL to your Desktop
  • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following
    netsvcs
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
    %USERPROFILE%\..|smtmp;true;true;true /FP
    /md5start
    volsnap.*
    explorer.exe
    winlogon.exe
    Userinit.exe
    svchost.exe
    /md5stop
    %systemroot%\*. /mp /s
    hklm\software\clients\startmenuinternet|command /rs
    hklm\software\clients\startmenuinternet|command /64 /rs
    CREATERESTOREPOINT

• Please select the Scan All Users checkbox.
  • Change the File Age dropdown list from 30 days to 60 days.
  • Under Extra Registry heading, select Use Safelist.
  • Then click the Run Scan button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, until it is done
  • Post the logs it produces in your next reply, OTL.txt and Extras.txt.

What I need in your next post:
1. The logs produced by OTL - OTL.txt and Extras.txt.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.