Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem connecting to a printer

• Please log in to reply

SallyMae

SallyMae

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
I found out I had a problem connecting to an installed printer when I tried to print a document from OpenOffice and got this message:

"could not start printer. Please check your printer configuration."

I have Windows XP, service pack 3. Here's what I've tried to do to resolve the problem so far:

1. I went to properties of the printer through the control panel and got the message: "printer properties cannot be displayed. The print spooler service is not working". There is another printer on the computer and I can get the properties on that one. MSConfig says the spooler is working. The spooler is set on automatic. Just in case I reset the print spooler.

2. Also in the control panel in the file>print server properties>drivers, it says the driver is installed. Just in case I went over to Cannon, clicked the driver and clicked "run". I thought hitting "run" instead of "download" was supposed to install the driver. maybe I'm wrong about that.

3. I'm set up to log spooler errors and events but nothing appeared in the event log.

4. I thought I'd just re-install the printer but it was set up to run through internet explorer and I can't remember the url so I can't designate the printer that way in the install wizard and when I click the "browse" button the printer doesn't show up in the list of printers.

5. I typed "http://PrintServerName/printers/" in IE using the print server name thinking I'd get the printer name from there and go to "http://PrintServerNa...me/printername", go to "printer actions" and "connect" but IE says it can't connect to "http://PrintServerName/printers/"

6. I went to the command prompt and typed NET VIEW\\SERVERNAME and NET VIEW\\[SERVERNAME]to see if I could get the printer name that way and i got a syntax error.

7. The print server is on and the printer is connected to it.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out.

Advertisements

SallyMae

SallyMae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Well, I re-installed IIS services and I can get the information I need through the browser to hook back up to the printer that way. I guess maybe IIS services got monkeyed up. And for some reason the printers showed back up under "browse" in the printer wizard and the NET VIEW command is working. Go figure on that one, I guess. Thanks.