Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Turn windows-based comp into mac

• Please log in to reply

tjmcs

tjmcs

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Greetings all,
If this is the wrong forum, please let me know. Like-wise, if I am completely out of my mind on this, please let me know that also. I figure the only way to learn something is to ask.
I have a rebuilt IBM: Asus mobo, Nvidia graphics, Western Digital hd, 1.5 gig memory, pent 4 1.6 processor. I'm sick and tired of windows problems. If I reformat the hd to operate Mac, what would I have to do to the rest of the computer to get it to run that os?

joe

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Not legally.

The licences for the current version stipulates it can only be installed on an Apple branded/labelled computer.

A Mac operating system is an entirely different kettle of fish to Windows and there can be a steep learning curve between the two if you're used to Windows.
Also it's only ever designed to work on specific hardware, as opposed to Windows which is generic so far as hardware goes.

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Thank you, Neil

The learning curve I can deal with. I'm looking at getting a Macbook anyway. After I rob a bank, of course. Mac is expensive.

The hardware issues was my biggest concern. I knew some harddrives let you use either but I weas not sure about rest of components.

I knew nothing about licensing. Thought once you bought a license you could use it your way. Thank you for telling me not to. Legal issues I do not need.

As I said, the way to learn is to ask.

joe

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
The MacOS License is pretty clear,

This License allows you to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time. You agree not to install, use
or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-labeled computer, or to enable others to do so.

Note that buying a license (Mac, Windows, fishing, driving, etc.) does not mean you can do whatever you want with that license. It means YOU AGREE to the terms of the license. Another common misconception is with the disk. Many still feel they bought the disk, it is theirs, they can do what they want with it. Not true! You are not buying the disk, you are buying a license to use the software. The disk is just the media, or method of distribution for the software.

But setting aside the legal issues - hardware devices need drivers, a program that tell the operating system how to communicate with that specific piece of hardware. It is highly unlikely you could find MacOS drivers for that old IBM hardware designed for Windows.