Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP computer hard drive chatters and computer slow

• Please log in to reply

lundfish

lundfish

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have an older computer with 3 user accounts. It is running XP home. I have ran the malware/spyware cleaning and the computer is clean ( link to thread: http://www.geekstogo...ms/page__st__15 ) I also could not publicly thank MALIPROG for their help in cleaning the computer as I was out of town and that thread is locked :)... anyway on start up my computer "chatters" for anywhere from 5-15 minutes before you can launch firefox or ie7. per the task manager only 4-18% of the cpu is being used. also on shut down I often get errors such as windows form parking window or base2paneform have quit running. I thought it was from virus or malware but apparently it is more system related. any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
What do you mean by chatters? Noise?

http://www.help2go.c...p-up_error.html

http://answers.yahoo...15201541AAQjqAx

Read my signature. :)

lundfish

lundfish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
it sounds as if something is 'writing' to the hard drive and the machine acts as if it is 'busy' as it take sometimes 15 minutes after start up to be able to launch an individual program(such as firefox)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
run chkdsk /r...
then defrag it

how much free space is on the drive

lundfish

lundfish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
the drive © has 35.8GB free space which is 52%. the drive was 1% defragmented but I ran the utility anyway.(we had ran a defrag in the previous malware removal process). also when I launch the task manager the cpu usage is usually running 4-24% during the start up time when I get little response...

Edited by lundfish, 02 October 2011 - 09:55 PM.

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Did you solve the form parking window or base2paneform with my links?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you run run chkdsk /r...

GypsyR

GypsyR

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Just me but when I hear lots of startup disk chatter I think 1. Memory is low or being hogged up by something. And/or 2. Windows is having trouble loading a startup program for some reason.
Lately I like a free program from IOBIT called "Advanced System Care". It does a fair variety of nice things to ungum slow PC's. It also has a "toolbox" section where you can find an easy to use startup program editor. With it you can see the hidden additional programs (like Quicktime,your antivirus, etc) that load at Windows startup. You can look at them and selectively disable whichever ones you like to see which might be causing problems. If not then they are easily re-enabled.

lundfish

lundfish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
computer seems better than it was. It is not as fast as I would like but it is an old computer. thanks for all the help.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
its hard to help you if you don't answer questions...