Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

upgrade desktop

• Please log in to reply

raj 62

raj 62

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am planning to upgrade my sony VIO RA304 . I m a total novice in upgrades and would like some suggestions

Advertisements

todo

todo

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
what are you looking to get

Performance ? play some games ? or just to make it a little faster ?

it seems for now you can upgrade the Ram

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
In most cases, the best bang for your money is to increase your RAM. But the size of the bang is dependent on how much RAM you have to begin with. Increasing from 1Gb to 4Gb will yield a significant performance boost, increasing from 2Gb to 4Gb, not as much. 4Gb to 8Gb, even less of a bang (and note, with more than 4Gb you need a 64-bit operating system).

Next big bang comes from upgrading the graphics card. Then the CPU.

HOWEVER! No hardware addition or upgrade should be attempted without first ensuring the existing power supply is capable of supporting the increased demands. This is especially true with graphics cards, which are often the biggest (by a big margin) power consumer.

raj 62

raj 62

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thanks. I am looking to a fast computer to see movies surf the net and listen to music

raj 62

raj 62

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thank you . At present I have A intel pentium 4processor 580 with HT technology and a 3.6 GZ with a NVDIA geeforce . ould changing the CPU to a one of the newer generation intel i5 make a diffrence . would i have to change the mother boad with it

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hi raj 62
Yes you would have to change your MB in order to use an i5 processor, you would also need to check the MBs QVL (qualified vendors list) to check what CPU and Ram type would be required, again as pointed out by Digerati the PSU must also be checked to ensure enough clean and stable power can be provided.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Also, when upgrading to a new motherboard, for licensing purposes that is considered a new computer since the the motherboard (also called "main" board) is the heart of the computer. Therefore, a new computer requires a new Windows license to be legal.

raj 62

raj 62

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thanks