Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot Mgr Missing

• Please log in to reply

SgtSama

SgtSama

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
So I've been attempting to replace my laptop HDD for a while, and ran into a few problems.

1st, I identified my disc drive as the problem, not being able to read any discs put into it (This includes the Windows 7 install disc, among many music discs, movies, etc). After figuring out the problem here, I decided that I would simply install windows onto the HDD on another system, which I attempted to do on my brother's laptop. Now, here's where I could be mistaken, but I DID get the same error message upon attempting to boot from the disc. It IS possible that his disc drive doesn't work, though since he's out of town I don't have the ability to log in and test it (I do however have permission to use his laptop for this purpose)

So this brings me to the point I'm at. I got the same error after attempting several times. It IS possible that I'm doing it entirely wrong, especially considering that I've gotten the same error on multiple machines now.

I really need to find a solution to this. My machine is an alienware M15x, Nvidia GTX 260M, Intel i7 720QM, with 6GB or 1333 RAM. Any other question or demands will be answered as soon as possible

(P.S. I'm not sure if this is in the right section of the forums, so please inform me if I was wrong in posting here. Thank you)

Edit ~ I forgot to state that I'm attempting to install 64 bit Windows 7

Edited by SgtSama, 01 October 2011 - 09:10 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi SgtSama
You cannot install an OS on a HDD in one computer, remove it, place it in another computer and expect for it to work (an exception may be identical brand and spec systems) the HDD will have the incorrect drivers on it for your system.
Things to check: where did the W7 disk come from, is your DVD;CD drive working correctly, post back with the details.
FWIW I would not use your brothers laptop for testing as it could result in 2 bad machines.

SgtSama

SgtSama

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thank you for your response. My laptop's DVD drive does not work, which was the reason for attempting to do it this way. The Windows disc is the one that came with my system, and I also have a drivers disc if this changes anything.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
It is good that you have the original installation software, can you borrow an external CD/DVD like the example at the attached link http://www.newegg.co...N82E16827135206 this will enable you to install the software correctly.

SgtSama

SgtSama

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I have located one, but I'm not sure exactly how to do it. Would it be the same as "booting from cd-rom"... only with... USB?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
You will need to set the boot order to USB device first and the HDD second, be sure to save the settings and exit, do you know how to do this.

SgtSama

SgtSama

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Yes. I haven't entered the bios on this particular system yet, but I shouldn't have any problems. Of course, if I do, well..... I've got this tab pinned :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Ok I will look out for an update :)

SgtSama

SgtSama

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
All seems to be going beautifully! Actually, I'm posting from the system itself. Of course I had forgotten how much work it would take to reinstall everything/update certain drivers/programs/replace music/videos etc etc etc. But it's all worth it to have a 3x larger hard drive :)

Thanks for your help. Geekstogo saves me once again :yes:

SgtSama

SgtSama

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I am having a slight issue getting my built-in wireless adapter to work. I'm sure it's a driver issue, but I seem to be having problems getting it working. I'm able to connect fine without wireless, but seeing as it's a laptop, any help towards figuring out this issue would be greatly appreciated.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Have you checked the Device Manager for any yellow ! or red X particularly the Network adapters.
Did you install the drivers in the correct order? If you didn`t then you can have issues such as this, for details see
http://support.dell....4&isLegacy=true if this does not resolve the issue then connect the ethernet cable to the laptop and run PCPitstop, see below;

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the above guidance.