Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Browers (both Firefox & IE)are EXTREMELY slow

• Please log in to reply

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Only do this if you have a minimum of 500 MB on the one good memory stick that is installed.

Here is the avira registry removal tool. Please download the .exe version to your desktop.

Use the uninstall that is in add/remove programs.

Run the avira registrycleaner that is on your desktop.

Reboot

Install Kaspersky.

Edited by CompCav, 30 January 2012 - 05:39 PM.

Advertisements

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
CompCav,

Good news. The seller said he will replace my card.

I ran msinfo32 and in the System Summary it says I have:

Total Physical Memory 4,096.00MB
Available Physical Memory 2.30 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 MB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 MB

Unless it is reading the phantom card I removed, this should be enough. However, to make certain I can keep the AVIRA until I get the new card, if you think that is best.

js

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
No that looks good. You may change it at your convenience just follow the steps in Post #166.

CompCav

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
CompCav,

I just now checked on memory by using msinfo32. Now it seems OK. For Total Physical Memory is does show 8192MB, so that part of my concern is OK.

js

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
So how are your machines running now?

What issues do you have?

CompCav

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
CompCav,

The New Compuoter:

One issue I have is that the AVIRA Reg cleaner will not run. I get an error message that says:

"This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."

I reloaded it three times and each time I tried to run it, I got the same error message. I am reluctant to re-load my Kaspersky until I know whether or not the inablility to clean the registry of AVIRA may affect Kaspersky.

The old computer is running OK, it is still a little slow in booting up so it may be a RAM problem. It now as 1.5Gb and I am adding another 512 Mb.

js

js

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Delete the AVIRA reg cleaner you have and download a fresh copy to your desktop and run it.

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
CompCav,

I downloaded the AVIRA registry cleaner to the Desktop - it still did not run - I got the same error message. I deleted it and tried again - same result. I then downloaded it in the ZIP form and extracted it; then ran the executable - same result. I then downloaded it to different folders and ran it - same result. I deleted all of them and rebooted and downloaded it again - same result.

Frustrated, I then reloaded the free AVIRA, used the deep version of REVO Uninstaller to clean it out. I then tried the AVIRA registry cleaner and got the same error.

I will go ahead and load Kaspersky.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Revo is an excellent choice but if you still have concerns about remnants you can use Appremover. Here is a video, the third one down called cleaning up a failed uninstall. But personally I am very confident in Revo to do the job!

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
CompCav,

Kaspersky loaded up just fine (so far).

The seller sent a replacement memory stick which I installed - it is working fine. I am thinking of adding even more RAM.

As of today, I have no additional problems with the new computer.

I will contact you tomorrow from the OLD computer. Again, as of today, it is working OK, just pretty slow in the bootup.

js

Advertisements

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Good news!

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
CompCav,

I installed the new 512 MB stick, raising my total RAM to 1.5 Gigs. It is hard to tell if it is helping much. I timed my startup. It takes 2 minutes and 15 seconds to go from turning the computer on to when the Windows Logon window appears. Once I click on my Avatar, it takes 3'30" for the Avira Umbrella icon (in the tray) to open. Then AVIRA downloads updates and it takes some time for the updates to load.

Whether this is normal for my computer, maybe you can judge, I can not. Some info: XP Home SP3; Intel Pentium 4 2.00 GHz; 2.66 GHz and 1.5 GB RAM

js

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Sounds pretty good!

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
But we can check what is starting up and tweak it if you like.

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
CompCav,

I would not mind if we do some tweaking. Also, the machine seems slow again (but maybe I'm just too used to my new much faster machine). I also think Kasparsky (on the new) does not slow things down as much as AVIRA (on the old).

I ran AVIRA last night to see if I picked up anything nasty; it found no problems. I'll now run Malwarebytes to see if it finds anything.

Lastly, we have worked together for months - you must be tired of me by now. Maybe it is best if we just end the post?

js