Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Browers (both Firefox & IE)are EXTREMELY slow

• Please log in to reply

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Your Windows update was corrupted and we need to download and install the proper program to correct this.

Please download:

http://download.wind...agent30-x86.exe

and save it to your desktop.

Then double click on it to install it. Follow the prompts and after it finishes it may ask you to restart your computer, please do so.

Now go to windows update, custom and update all critical updates and internet explorer up to version 8. This may require multiple installs and restarts to complete.

Advertisements

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
CompCav,

It would not install. I got a window titled: Windows Update Agent Installer
and the message in the Window said: Install is not needed since Windows Update Agent is already installed.

js

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Step 1.

Use Fixit as directed by this link. Try it first in Default and then Aggressive only if necessary:

Go here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Step 2.ONLY IF STEP 1 DOES NOT WORK

Please follow these steps:

• Click Start, click Run, type notepad in the Open box, and then click OK.
  • Paste the following commands into the new Notepad document:

REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL /S
    REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL /S
    REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL /S
    REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL /S
    REGSVR32 WUCLTUX.DLL /S
    REGSVR32 WUWEBV.DLL /S
    REGSVR32 JSCRIPT.DLL /S
    REGSVR32 MSXML3.DLL /S

• On the File menu, click Save As.
  • In the Save in box, click Desktop.
  • In the Save as type box, click All Files.
  • In the File name box, type Register.bat.
  • Click Save.
  • On the File menu, click Exit to exit Notepad.
  • On your desktop, double-click the Register.bat file to register the Windows Update files.
  • Try to install the updates again.

http://download.wind...agent30-x86.exe

Step 3.

Please let me know if it works now!

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
CompCav

Unfortunately, none of these options worked. I still get the same errors I reported in #90.

js

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Download Windows Repair (all in one) from this site

Install the program then run

Go to step 2 and allow it to run Disc check
Posted Image
Once that is done then go to step 3 and allow it to run SFC
Posted Image
On the start repairs tab select advanced mode and click start
Posted Image
Select the items in the red surround in your case also keep Repair Windows Firewall and Repair Internet Explorer ticked (remove the ticks from the rest ) and tick restart system when finished then click Start
Posted Image

Please give me an update on if it works now!

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
CompCav,

I ran Step 2 and some bad stuff is happening. First, I was prompted MS that there were updates available. Reluctantly (MS update screw things up more than the help anything) I click on OK. The fact that I got this prompt was encourage, because I haven't been prompted in over month. I should tell you that I do not allow automatic updates from MS - I ask to be prompted.

After it finished updating, it asked that to be rebooted. Upon reboot the system again slowed to a crawl - it took several minutes to load Windows after I clicked on my icon. Once up it is much faster, but not as fast as it was yesterday. After it finally loaded up, the updates screwed-up AVIRA. Although the MS Security Window says Avira is protecting me, the Avira umbrella icon in the tray is not open. I loaded the AVIRA page and saw that the Web protection and mail protection are turned off. When I click on them or the Fix Problem button, Avira tells me that it can't turn them on and that something is wrong.

Obviously, I never got to Step 3.

I'm ready to go to Linux.

js

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Restart the computer and run the steps over again including the disk check from step 2.

After step 2 do step 3 if after rebooting from step 3 Avira is still not working, do the following steps:

Download Avira unless you already have it.

Uninstall the current Avira using Revo Uninstaller.

Reinstall Avira.

Then go to start repairs on the repair tool.

Do not start an update from windows until all the steps are completed.

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
CompCav,

I redid Step 2. Early into Step 3 a window popped up saying: "Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache. Insert your Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM now.

I don't have an XP CD. I clicked NO, it continued for a few seconds and I received the message again. I canceled Step 3.

AVIRA still shows the Mail and Web functions as not working properly. However, the Task Manager shows that avgnt.exe, avguard.exe avshadow.exe as running.

js

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Step 1.

Download or locate your latest install program for Avira (you used it earlier in a post).

Uninstall Avira using Revo Uninstaller.

Reboot computer after uninstall.

Re install Avira. Reboot to insure it starts up correctly.

Step 2.

Run sfc /scannow without a CD.

This applies to Windows XP.
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePath setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again by this process:

Click Start > Run

Type sfc /scannow then click OK

Allow it to run, it should take several minutes.

Once it completes, reboot your computer and try windows update. If it works stop and let me know

If it does not go to Step 3.

Step 3.

Download Windows Repair (all in one) from this site or if you still have it installed skip to the next step.

Install the program then run

On the start repairs tab select advanced mode and click start, it will prompte you to create a restore point, please click yes.
Posted Image
Select the items in the red surround in your case also make sure Repair Windows Firewall and Repair Internet Explorer are ticked (remove the ticks from the rest ) and tick restart system when finished then click Start
Posted Image

Please give me an update on if it works now!

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
CompCav,

Strange but good news. I uninstalled AVIRA and then reinstalled it, it is working properly.

I then started Step 2. In the middle of step 2 did as you instructed, "Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again by this process:" This got Window Update to work. WHen I tried to complete Step 2, I got the same error as I described in posting #98.

But since Windows Update is working, I'm happy.

js

Advertisements

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
  • Download Service Pack 3 for IT Techs. Save the file to your desktop.
  • Download and install 7-Zip. If you already have WinRar just skip to the right click in the next step, you do not need 7-Zip.
  • After 7-Zip has installed right click on the Service pack 3 file and choose "Extract to" using 7-Zip.
  • When the extract window opens type C:\ into the file path location for the file to be extracted to then click OK. This will place the i386 folder at the root of C drive.
  • Now click Start > Run > type sfc /scannow > click OK

Please tell me how it is doing after this step!

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
CompCav

The file you asked me to download (http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en)is not a zip file, it is a 300+ MB .exe file that I can not download. As it downloads, once it gets to about 25 MB, it kicks out, i.e. stops.

Also, I running SP3.

js

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
It is supposed to be an .exe file the extraction does not use .zip it extracts a .cab file filled with the system files needed to allow sfc /scannow to replace corrupted system files on your hard drive.

This process does not install SP3 again. :yes:

We create a directory on your C: drive called C:\I386 that sfc /scannow will look at given the registry fix that you did in post #99 above.

You have some corrupted system files, that is why sfc /scannow was asking for your Windows CD. This process places all the system files in the C:\I386 directory and then we have what you need on your hard drive without the Windows CD to allow sfc /scannow to replace the corrupted system files! :)

Please download the file, if you cannot on this computer, then download it to another machine and use a USB flash drive to copy it off the other machine and onto the machine we are repairing.

CompCav

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
CompCav,

I burned a CD with the file on my office computer and loaded it up on this machine. I did all the extraction stuff and all seems OK.

However, when I use the RUN command, it did not run. I then tried to run it from my old faithful 16 bit Norton Commander. It did not run, but at least with Commander I know why.

I got a message stating: You must be an administrator running a console session in order to use the Windows File Checker utility.

Edited by jsaklas, 07 November 2011 - 06:06 PM.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Try this:

Click Start > Run > type cmd > in the black DOS box type CD\ then Enter > then type sfc /scannow and hit Enter.

If that does not work then open the Windows Repair tool go to the tab Step 3 and on that screen click Do It