Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Browers (both Firefox & IE)are EXTREMELY slow

• Please log in to reply

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
CompCav,

After I click on Do It, a black DOS-type screen comes up with:

C:\Computer>"C:\WINDOW2\system32\sfc"/scannow
You must be an administrator running a console session in order to use the Windows File Checker utility.

C:\Computer>echo Please Restart Your Computer When System File Checker is Finished. Please Restart Your Computer When System File Checker is Finished.

C:\Computer>pause
Press any key to continue....

When I hit any key, the black screen disappears and nothing happens.

js

Advertisements

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Since that did not work then open the Windows Repair tool from Tweaking.com that we downloaded and attempted to use before.

Posted Image

Click the tab Step 3 and on that screen click Do It

That should run it.

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
CompCav,

I'm confused. I assumed that what you asked me to do in Post #105 is use the Tweaking.com software. So my reply in Post #106 was what happened when I loaded Tweaking, clicked on Step 3 and then clicked on Do It.

Since you asked me to do this in the most recent post (#107) I'm not sure what you asked me to do in #105.

Bottom line is my answer in #106 is the reply to what you asked in #107.

js

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
My apologies I thought it was from just running the DOS command.

Please restart your computer and repeatedly tap the F8 key until the Windows Advanced Options Menu comes up.

Select using the cursor keys Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Then hit Enter and Hit Enter again for Microsoft Windows XP Home

Now select the Administrator account.

The black DOS box comes up and at the prompt type C:\ then hit Enter

Next Type sfc /scannow then hit Enter again

Once it completes hold down Ctrl-Alt-Delete to bring up the Windows Task Manager

Click Shutdown and in the drop down select Restart and let it reboot normally into Windows.

Please let me know if the sfc scan completed and any issues you are having with the computer.

Edited by CompCav, 08 November 2011 - 12:14 AM.

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
CompCav,

Still no access. I booted into safe mode with prompt and got the black screen. However, the prompt was not C:\ , rather it was C:\Documents and settings\...... Nonetheless, I typed in sfc/scannow and I got the following error message:

Window File Protection could not initiate a scan of protected system files. The specific error code is 0x000006ba [The RPC server is unavailable]

js

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hi Compcav will need to be away for a few days - so alas you now have me :)

OK lets check out the RPC service first
Go to control panel > Administrative tools > services
Locate and right click RPCSS and ensure it is started and set to auto
Repeat for the RPC service

Let me know if those settings are correct.

Also could you let me know what the exact problems are that you are having

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
Essexboy,

Welcome. As you see we have been working long and hard on this issue. I believe we have solved most of the problems, but there are still a few which CompCav felt were caused by some corruption in Windows. I don't have a Windows XP CD, so he has been trying server options.

Right now there are still a few issues.

1. the obnoxious music played by Windows when one clicks on their icon (Our computer is shared by my wife and me.) sometimes is replaced by sound not unlike a young boy imitating a machine gun.

2. When first booting up, when most everything has been loaded I get a warning that my machine is in danger because there is no firewall. I use the Windows Firewall. WHen I check on the WIndows Security WIndow in the Control Panel, it says that the Windows Firewall is active and working.

3. I need eventually to clean-up the programs running in the background and the various programs added by CompCav.

This is all I can think of at this moment.

js

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
If I ask you to do something that Compcav has allready then let me know - Although I have been advising him my memory is not as it should be - age I feel :)

So first I will try the easy way to reset the firewall

Go start > Run and type in the following :

NETSH FIREWALL RESET

If the firewall is not recognised then run this command :

rundll32 wbemupgd, UpgradeRepository

SOUND

Could you go to control panel > device manager
And look to see if there are any yellow exclamation marks

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
Essexboy,

I will be out of town from early tomorrow AM to Monday evening so I won't be able to reply.

I tried both of your suggestions about the Firewall - nothing happened that I could tell. Was I supposed to be prompted with something? In any case the Control Panel - Security window still shows the Firewall as enabled. When I again reboot, I will see if I get the message that it is not.

THere is no device manager in my Control Panel

OTHER PROBLEMS

ALso I have problems with Word. I have Office 2003 on this machine. When I click on a .doc file from My Computer, or Gyula's Commander or from an email attachment I get some strange stuff:

First a window titles File Conversion -~$eanConvert comes up. Inside the window it asks me to select encoding. THere are three options, it chooses Other encoding and in the box it defaults to Japanese (Shift-J1S) The window also shows a Preview of my name, page breaks and a bunch of squares.

Immediately a second window comes up, it is an error message window titled Microsoft Office Word, with the message: The command cannot be performed because a dialog box is open. Click Ok, and then close the open dialog boxes to continue.

When I do that, both windows close and a new one comes up again from MS Word saying Word cannot open this document template. (C:\...\STARTUP\~$eanConvert.dot)

When I click on this last window, then usually, but not always the file opens.

[I'm ready for LINUX and OPEN OFFICE.]

Lastly, whenever I open or close Firefox I get a MALWARE FOUND window from AVIRA. It is in C:\Documents and Settings\Baba\...\CACHE_001_'. The detection is HTML?Infected.WebPage.Gen3'

When I click on REMOVE a small bar comes up from AVIRA and says SCAN, it lasts a minute or so. Regardless the supposed Malware is not removed or moved to quarantine, it come up every time I open Firefox.

Edited by jsaklas, 11 November 2011 - 12:33 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
That appears to be in the Java cache - so could you empty the cache please and set Java to have no cache

Details on this page about two thirds of the way down

But first we need to get java updated

Please download JavaRa to your desktop and unzip it to its own folder
  • Run JavaRa.exe, pick the language of your choice and click Select. Then click Remove Older Versions.
  • Accept any prompts.
  • Open JavaRa.exe again and select Search For Updates.
  • Select Update Using Sun Java's Website then click Search and click on the Open Webpage button. Download and install the latest Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version for your computer.

For word go to this pageand follow the instructions to remove the recalcitrant addin

Advertisements

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
Essexboy,

I got as far as the Java website, when I had to stop. The Jave webpage (Downloads) offers numerous options, none of which are known to me. There are 4 large "Click-ons" at the top: Java, JavaFx, Netbeans and Java EE

Then below those four are:
1. Java SE 7u1; for which there are two options JDK and JRE
2. JDK 7 for MAC .... (This is clearly not for my machine.)
3. Java SE 6 Update 29; for which there are two options JDK and JRE

The web-site instructions imply one should download the JDK since they contain the JRE.

If one clicks on one of the JRE downloads, one gets a list that contains Windows x86 Online, Windows x86, Windows x86 Online, Windows x64.

All these mean nothing to me. As I said in my very first post - I am not a computer expert.

What should I do. I apologize, but I need a little more explicit instructions.

THanks much.

js

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
No problem - go to this page and click "Do I have Java"
This will check the system and download the relevant copy for you

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Hi jsaklas,

I am back and if you are still needing to update Java please follow step 1.

If not then go on to step 2.

Step 1.

Update Java:

Your Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malicious sites can use to exploit and infect your system. Please follow these steps to clear the Java Cache, remove older version Java components, and update:

Clear your Java Cache
  • click on Start-> Control Panel (Classic View)-> Java (looks like a coffee cup)
  • On the General tab, under Temporary Internet Files, click the Settings button.
  • Next, click on the Delete Files button
  • There are two options in the window to clear the cache - Leave BOTH Checked
Applications and Applets
Trace and Log Files

• Click OK on Delete Temporary Files Window
    Note: This deletes ALL the Downloaded Applications and Applets from the CACHE.
  • Click OK to leave the Temporary Files Window
  • Click OK to leave the Java Control Panel.

Uninstall old Java versions

Please download JavaRa to your desktop and unzip it to its own folder.
    Run JavaRa.exe, pick the language of your choice and click Select. Then click Remove Older Versions.
    Accept any prompts.

Download Current Version of Java
  • Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) Version 7 u1 and save it to your desktop.
  • Scroll down to where it says "Java SE 7 u1.
  • Click the "Download" button to the right for JRE.
  • Select your Platform: "Windows".
  • Select your Language: "Multi-language".
  • Read the License Agreement, and then check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".
  • Click Continue and the page will refresh.
  • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation, jre-7u1-windows-i586.exe and save the file to your desktop.

Install New Java
  • Then from your desktop double-click on jre-7u1-windows-i586.exe to install the newest version.

Step 2.

Download SubinACL.

Install SubinACL by double clicking on it.

Download reset.zip

Extract reset.cmd and from reset.zip

Double click on reset.cmd, It should finish quickly resetting your registry and file permissions to allow you to now run sfc after you reboot.

Reboot and once it has finished do these steps:

Click Start > Run > type sfc /scannow > click OK and sfc will run.

Please let me know when it finishes and if there are any remaining problems with your computer

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
CompCav,

I completed everything until I got to the JAVA download page. You instructed me to: Select your Platform: "Windows".

Unfortunately there are 4 Windows "Platforms": Windows x86 Online, Windows x86, Windows x86 Online, Windows x64

Which one do I download?

js

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Windows x86 offline which is jre-7u1-windows-i586.exe