Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Browers (both Firefox & IE)are EXTREMELY slow

• Please log in to reply

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
CompCav,

sfc /scannow did not run. It started, but it stopped and asked that I insert the XP CD, which I don't have.

Problems remaining:

All the problems I described in Post #144 still occur.

I will be out of town until Sunday night or Monday so I will not be able to reply until then.

Edited by jsaklas, 16 November 2011 - 11:46 PM.

Advertisements

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Step 1.

Please verify that the extraction of the SP3 files is in C:\I386 directory.

Double click My Computer

Double click Local disk C:

Verify directory I386 is there. If not then go back and redo Post #101

Step 2.

Run sfc /scannow without a CD.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePath setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again by this process:

Click Start > Run

Type sfc /scannow then click OK

Allow it to run, it should take several minutes.

Once it completes, reboot your computer.

Step 3.

For word go to this page and follow the instructions under Word Cannot Open this Document Template During Word Startup to remove the recalcitrant addin

Step 4.

If you are still getting this:

Lastly, whenever I open or close Firefox I get a MALWARE FOUND window from AVIRA. It is in C:\Documents and Settings\Baba\...\CACHE_001_'. The detection is HTML?Infected.WebPage.Gen3'

When I click on REMOVE a small bar comes up from AVIRA and says SCAN, it lasts a minute or so. Regardless the supposed Malware is not removed or moved to quarantine, it come up every time I open Firefox.

Then Clear Java Cache

Click Start > Control Panel > Switch to Classic View > Java

Under Temporary Internet Files, click Settings...

Then click Delete Files...

Finally click OK

What problems remain?

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
CompCav,

I'm back from my trip. i386 is in the C drive and there are about 25 folders and thousands of files in it.

I checked the register, as instructed, the SourcePath was already set to C:\ I did not think the backslash would make a difference, but to make sure I changed C:\ to C:

The result whether or not the SourcePath was C: or C\ is still the same. The scan stops and the window that was showing the scan tells me that it can't find a .dll file and asks me to insert the XP CD.

Also, every time Firefox is shut down I get an AVIRA warning that it found an unwanted file
or virus: HTML/Infected.WebPage.Gen3 located at: C:\Baba\...\_CACHE_001_'

Then a small window pops up saying Scanning which takes about one minute.

js

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Step 1.

Log on as Baba at startup.

Run Firefox and click this link and follow the instructions:
http://support.mozil...clear the cache

Please Clear the Cache and Automatically clear the cache

Now close Firefox, restart FireFox, close Firefox and see if the Avira notice comes up again. If it is clear go on to step 2 and if not continue here:

If that fails then try the more drastic method

In the run box type in the following command

C:\Documents and Settings\Baba\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles

Navigate to the folder called (random numbers/letters).default in the directory window that opens and and right-click on it and select Rename.

Now rename it to Backup.Default.

Now launch FireFox and check if the issues you have been experiencing have been rectified.

Note: You may have to reapply your custom settings/import bookmarks again etc.

If this works then go back to the run command again and type in

C:\Documents and Settings\Baba\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles

Right click on Backup.default and then left click delete.

Step 2.

sfc /scannow

Try clicking retry and skip when it asks for the CD to see if it will complete. Please note each file it stops at if it gives you a file name and include it in the next post.

If it is too many files or does not work then please borrow a Windows XP Home Edition disk with either SP2 or SP3 on it. Then insert the CD and click Start > Run and type in the command sfc /scannow and let it run.

Step 3.

Please let me know the status of these two problems and any other issues you are having.

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
CompCav,

1. The Avira notices I used to get when I close Firefox appear to have stopped.

2. The scannow still is not working. The message I get is in a box titled Windows File Protection. The message in the window says: "Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache."
When I click on Retry, I get the same message. If I click on Ignore, it runs for a few seconds and then I get the same message. If I click on "More Information" I get a message saying 1. You have inserted the wrong CD, or 2) The CD ROM is not working.

Also, the Word fix did not work. I followed the instructions carefully, but the "things" I was supposed to find and change/delete were not where the insturctions said. For example, I was supposed to find something in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\STARTUP but it WAS EMPTY. Like wise with what I was supposed to find in Documents and Setting.

Currently, the Word issue is the only one remaining. It is annoying, but it still loads.

I do not know what scannow is suppose to do. I will be buying a second computer with XP and I think I may get the CD, if so, then I can use the CD.

js

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Step 1.

Double click My Computer.

Double click Local disk C:

Click Tools > Folder Options > View Tab

Under Hidden Files and Folders put a dot in Show hidden files and folders

Uncheck Hide extensions for known file types.

Click Apply

Click OK

Now in the toolbar at the top click Search

In the left pane click All files and folders

In the box All or part of the file name:
type ~$eanC

Then click Search

When the search is finished right click and delete all files with ~$eanConvert.dot

Now restart your computer and try opening Word again.

If this does not work then click Help in Word.

Click Detect and Repair

Put check marks in both boxes Restore my shortcuts while repairing and Discard my customized settings and restore default settings

Click Start and follow the prompts.

Then reboot your computer and try Word again.

Step 2.

sfc

I do not know what scannow is suppose to do. I will be buying a second computer with XP and I think I may get the CD, if so, then I can use the CD.

/scannow is the command that replaces all corrupted system files on your computer with fresh ones from the C:\I386 directory

If you do get a CD or borrow one make sure it is Windows XP Home edition SP2 or SP3.

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
CompCav,

I completed Step 1 and it worked. I no longer have the problem with MS Word.

If I get an XP SP2//3 disc with my new second computer, I will try the scannow. It may be several days - will this Topic still be active? If not, do I contact you directly or do I post a new topic.

Currently, however, I think I have no problem.

One minor issue. When I first boot up, after most everything loads, I get a warning message that my computer may be in danger because there is no firewall. However, when I check, Windows Security it says the Windows Firewall is enabled. Is the warning premature, that is, it is impatient and does not wait until the boot up is 100% complete, or is correct in saying the the firewall NOT enabled?

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
I am glad your Word problem is solved ;)

I believe the notice on the firewall is intertwined with the need to run sfc /scannow so I will hold until you get the Windows CD.

If this log is accidentally marked stale just PM me here and I will have them open it back up.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy your computer! :cheers:

CompCav

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
CompCav,

The new computer came today and it came with an XP CD. How can I tell if it includes SP2 or SP3?

No need to answer now. Have a great THanksgiving.

Also I would like to make a small donation to Geeks to Go, how can I do that, perhaps a PayPal account?

js

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
The CD should say on it SP2, SP3. It should also say Home Edition not Pro and not media center edition.

To make a donation you can click on Essexboy's name on any post he has and there is a paypal to click on. (Thank you very much!!!!!)

He is the instructor for us Seniors and checks all of our fixes before we send them out. Here is a link to his page that has the about me tab and his signature and there you can click on the paypal link. :thumbsup:

Advertisements

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
CompCav,

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

The XP CD does not have anything on it except Window XP and the 20 digit (alphanumeric) code.

Should I try it anyway?

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Before we do that can you start up the new computer?

If so please follow these steps to determine the version you have:

Double click My Computer

In the left hand pane you see System Tasks,

Click on View System Information you should see something like this:
System information.JPG

Please reply to me with what it says under System only do not post anything else.

I will have my fingers crossed in anticipation! ;)

Edited by CompCav, 25 November 2011 - 07:03 AM.

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
CompCav,

I may not get to setting up the new computer for anywhere from one to four weeks. Can you keep this topic active? If not, should I start a new topic (In fact, I may need some help in copying and transferring some items, such as my Thunderbird mail, Firefox Bookmarks, etc., to the new machine.) or contact you directly?

js

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
jsaklas,

You can PM me or request that the topic reopen. We will be glad to reopen at that time.

CompCav

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
I will leave the topic open rather than close it - one step less when you return :)