Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Could I get a new graphics card for this computer?

• Please log in to reply

danjjj

danjjj

• Pip
  • 8 posts
So I have this pretty decent computer. 2GB RAM, 3.06 GHz processor, etc. Here's the full specs. Anyways, it has a really bad integrated graphics card that pretty much cancels out all of its other features when it comes to playing video games. I was wondering if it would be possible to get a cheap ($40-$70) graphics card to replace the integrated one in order to let me play various video games on it without hassle. To be more specific, I want to be able to play Minecraft. It isn't a very graphics-heavy game, as it runs on an older version of OpenGL. However, it does need a real graphics card to play and a decent amount of RAM. The RAM part I have, the graphics card part I lack. Basically, I want to buy a new graphics card and install it so I can play the game on the highest quality settings with minimal lag. Would this be possible with the motherboard that came packed with this computer? If anyone needs to find out more specs, just say so.

Thanks!

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

The RAM part I have

Ummm, not really, but sadly, that appears to be the most your motherboard supports. Otherwise, I would suggest you take it up to 4Gb before buying a card as that would likely give you more bang for your money.

So adding a card may be your best bet. Your motherboard is pretty old so does not support the latest technologies. You have two PCI slots and one PCI Express x1 slot. Most PCI Express (PCIe) cards today are x16 cards, and will toggle down to your x1 slot - but that is wasting horsepower and money. So if me, I would probably settle on a PCI card.

The card will offer better graphics performance, and since cards have their own RAM, installing a card will free up the system RAM your integrated graphics is now stealing (err, I mean sharing).

HOWEVER, note that graphics cards are often the most power hungry device in a computer - even more than many CPUs. So adding a card may require replacing the PSU with something a bit bigger first.

danjjj

danjjj

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

The RAM part I have

Ummm, not really, but sadly, that appears to be the most your motherboard supports. Otherwise, I would suggest you take it up to 4Gb before buying a card as that would likely give you more bang for your money.

So adding a card may be your best bet. Your motherboard is pretty old so does not support the latest technologies. You have two PCI slots and one PCI Express x1 slot. Most PCI Express (PCIe) cards today are x16 cards, and will toggle down to your x1 slot - but that is wasting horsepower and money. So if me, I would probably settle on a PCI card.

The card will offer better graphics performance, and since cards have their own RAM, installing a card will free up the system RAM your integrated graphics is now stealing (err, I mean sharing).

HOWEVER, note that graphics cards are often the most power hungry device in a computer - even more than many CPUs. So adding a card may require replacing the PSU with something a bit bigger first.

Would this work?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
It looks like it should work fine. I cannot find any power requirements for that board but similar boards call for at least 250W, so I suspect you will be fine.

However, do understand this is still an entry-level card and your computer is not all that powerful or current either. You should see a nice improvement in over all performance, but don't expect game play to be as good as modern game machines.