Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop cannot access any wireless network

• Please log in to reply

maz22

maz22

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello,

It's been a while since I've had to use this great forum. I have a Dell Latitude D620 Core 2 Duo 1.6Ghz 1GB 120GB DVD/ CDRW WIFI Laptop (Refurbished)
with Windows XP3.

My problem is that my laptop's internal wireless card is enabled, but it cannot access any wireless networks at all and thus cannot get on the internet at all. I do not currently have internet at home and must use free wifi. One day while in the middle of surfing on a free wifi network at the grocery store I found that I could no longer access the network. So I took it to another network nearby and same thing. Then I took it home where my computer can normally recognize other security encrypted networks in the area, but it could no longeer recognize them.

Unfortunately, prior to the problem with accessing , I recently disabled my AVG free anti-virus BEFORE going on the internet are few weeks ago because I thought that AVG was slowing down my browsing speed. As it turns out it may have just been the networks that was slowing everything down, but my intent was to reinstall an update of AVG and see if that had anything to do the speed of the browser.

The only other change that was made to my computer was add a plug and play Seagate FreeAgent Desk™ external hard drive.

I have already ran several scans for virus and malware with Spybot but each scan has come up clean. Tomorrow I will post a Highjack this log, but if anyone can offer a tentative solution until then, can think of what could be wrong or what to check it would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisements

maz22

maz22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 3:12:29 PM, on 10/2/2011
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP3 (6.00.2900.5512)
Boot mode: Normal

Attached Files