Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird Problem....

• Please log in to reply

bimmer124

bimmer124

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a strange issue. I am able to get into any icon on my desktop but...when I push the start button on the lower left hand corner and try to get into lets say control panel, my pictures, my documents, etc...I receive a window that states "windows has encountered a problem". They ask whether I wish to report the error or not...what gives and hope do I fix it.

Edited by rshaffer61, 03 October 2011 - 04:19 PM.
Removed email for privacy and security

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
bimmer124

Welcome to GeekstoGo.

Firstly, sorry for the delay in you receiving a response. This is due to the vast amount of posts on the site.

Do you still require help please. If so what have you tried to fix this problem to date please.

The first approach in this matter is to run a chkdsk.
If you can open My Computer, right click the hard drive carrying Windows, normally your C drive.
Click Properties, then Tools, then Error Checking, then Check Now, then click to put a check mark in both boxes, then click Start.
Agree the message to run on restart and do so please.
PLEASE DO NOT INTERRUPT the check, to do so is dnagerous to the health of the computer.

When the computer restarts, try again please to see if the porblem still exists.

If you cannot open My Computer, click Start, then click Run, then type cmd. Click or press the enter key.
At the command prompt type cd/
press enter.
You now should have just a C prompt
type chkdsk /r
press enter.
Agree to run on restart.
Again do not interupt.

If chkdsk does not work, when the computer first posts keep tapping F8 and select Safe Mode with Networking. See if in Safe Mode you can access the items. If not and there is another account on the computer, sign in with the other account and see if the Control Panel etc can be accessed on that account.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 08 October 2011 - 05:50 PM.