Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What Graphics card shall i go for?

• Please log in to reply

nathen555

nathen555

Geek In Training

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
Hi , I am very confused on which card to buy at a resonable price i have the GEFORCE FX5200 128MB NVDIA playing Doom 3 on it runs ok. what card shall i go for then : ATI radeon 9550 or Nvidia GEFORCE FX 5550 or you could even tell me a good website and tell me where i can get a card from online thanx for reading please help me :tazz:

Advertisements

Guest_yezpahr_*

Guest_yezpahr_*
Me personally would wait another 2 weeks... Wait till the prices of the 6600GT go down. It should happen next monday or in two weeks on monday. The price of that GeForce 5550 is the same as the 6600GT will be. Don't ask me how I know this, it is classified.

The ATI Radeon already went down last week, so if you REALLY cannot wait 1 week, go for the ATI, but I wanr you, Doom3 can NOT be run smoothly on it, except if you download that third party performance patch. I've heard it runs perfectly after that patch, but any legal support will be denied.

Me personally: I have a GeForce2 MX/400 64 MB and can run Doom3 smoothly with everything on the lowest, except resolution set on 640×480. I overclocked it with 55% using a ventilator the seize of the computerbox that immediatly takes the motherboard and cpu as target as well. I didn't just overclock it with tools, I also used the motherboard to put the card under more voltage. It runs smoothly and I can run UT2004 with all the settings on the highest, except the resolution put on 800×600.

I do NOT recommend overclocking or overpressuring your videocard, just go for a new one. I also don't know where you live, so I wouldn't know where to get it online (costs of shipping).

Edited by yezpahr, 01 June 2005 - 03:58 AM.

nathen555

nathen555

Geek In Training

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
Yes thanks for replying very appreicated The country i am at is UK leicester if that helps you.

Guest_yezpahr_*

Guest_yezpahr_*
It does help, I now know the currency of the valua of 1 unit of your money.

1 euro is 45 pennies

And GT6800 costs 449 Euro and it costs 221 Pounds if Im not mistaken.

That card that you want costs lemme say sumtin like: 70 Pounds?? Maybe less. I earn €121.23 per month. You would earn (with the same job) 50 pounds. So if you would save on a few more months.... You might buy that GT. But if you DRASTICALLY need a new graph card and you can afford the Nvidia, I would say you should go for that Nvidia. It has support for Anti-Aliasing and ATI doesn't. AA-support only comes AFTER the Ati Radeon 9800 PRO. So those with 9800 PRO are very unlucky they didn't wait 3 months to buy a better one. :tazz: . Anyhow: Just go for that Nvidia.

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Yezpahr, in the UK people don't use euros. they use pounds...

Guest_yezpahr_*

Guest_yezpahr_*
That's why I calculated the euros to the pounds.... Read my post man!

nathen555

nathen555

Geek In Training

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
Hello i will be getting that NVIDIA 6800GT and is good but i wnt to play doom 3 on my FX5200 it is on medium settings in the doom 3 settings menu but when im in the game it jerks when loads of stuff are appearing like when a monster comes out and attacks and im trying to shoot it goes slow is there any other way to over come that. I did try defragmenting didnt do nothing please help. if you do help do you want the settings tht my graphics card is on? thanx for helpin my card that i am running is a NVIDIA GEFORCE FX5200 128MB . and for jerking for a 128MB nvidia card is just not right. I heard also that people have been using 64MB cards and they say it runs smooth how come my nvidia GEFORCE FX5200 128MB dont its so confusing please please help me :tazz: ;)

Guest_yezpahr_*

Guest_yezpahr_*
Its the speed of the card, I can run Doom 3 on the highest settings, just not the resolution and the AA-support. The resolution is on 640×480 and the AA-support (Anti-Aliasing is tunred off completly, except the default ×2 settings.) I think it has something to do with overclocking your videocard, which I do NOT recommend.

Oh yeah, I am using a GeForce2 Mx/400 64MB. Overclocked it to unknown speed....

I think it has something to do with the version too, I've heard MX are great versions, but I have also heard the reverse. Well, I don't have trouble with it.

Like I said: I think it has something to do with the version or maybe the brand of your card. You are using Nvidia, but that's only the chip, what brand is it?

nathen555

nathen555

Geek In Training

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
The Brand Is GEFORCE FX i think is that right?

nathen555

nathen555

Geek In Training

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
oh what specs shall i have my card running on Doom 3 just these settings:

Image Settings : High Performance , Performance , Quality , High Quality
What shall i have them on

Antialiasing Settings: Application Controlled , OFF (NO antialiasing) , 2x , 2xQ , 4x , 8xS
What setting shall i have that on?

Anisotropic settings: Off , 2x , 4x , 8x
What Setting Shall I have That On?

here are the specs on my PC: 2.5GHz , 768MB RAM , 48x Speed CD drive + DVD Drive + DVD R-W

plz help

callard

callard

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hi, nathen555

No the make of your card will be something like PNY, XFX, Asustek one of Nvidias partners saying Geforce FX is saying the family it comes from like yezpahr card is Geforce MX thats the family, then you've got the model like Geforce FX 6800GT the 6800GT is the model. and the cores or GPU or even processing units, if you will, are all made my Nvidia however, Nvidia give these chips to they partners and they put the chips on a board and sell it. If you still have the box which your card came in it should say on there, or if you look around the card you might find it there as well.

Well I think thats right? :tazz:

Edited by callard, 01 June 2005 - 08:06 PM.

nathen555

nathen555

Geek In Training

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
Hi thanks for that i will look on my card and he box and wil get back to you

Idle-Brain

Idle-Brain

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I think Yezpahr's MX card is a Winfast card. I only found MX's GeForce 2's of Winfast.

nathen555

nathen555

Geek In Training

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
ok it dont matter now i got a new card NVIDIA GEFORCE 6800GT i love it its 20 times better than my geforce fx5200 Its supposed to be the best card out i play doom 3 with no mistakes with my 4.2GHz and 2024MB Ram cost me over £250 though lol but a brilliant card u cant fault it thanks for all your help yezapahr your a true m8 :tazz:

Idle-Brain

Idle-Brain

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Woah!!! 4.2 Ghz!!! is that Intel or AMD???? 2 gigs of RAM!! WOAH!!! My dream, I need it too man!!! 250 usd will be 320 European value.... :tazz:

Well, Yezpahr says he wants to help you any time, but you must e-mail him. He is banned from this forum.

And me personally, I WANT GeForce 6800GT TOO!!!!!!