Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer freezes, monitor goes blank, tiled screen

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
I just want to make sure we are on the same page here. Can you confirm that you were unable to perform these steps here: http://www.sevenforu...ir-install.html ?

Advertisements

dirtrider

dirtrider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Correct. I was unable to perform those steps in the link you posted due to running in safe mode.

I then tried this guide:

http://www.sevenforu...-safe-mode.html

But was not able to launch "compmgmtlauncher".

Thanks.

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
Hi!

I'd like to have you run a test on your Hard Drive.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com

dirtrider

dirtrider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
ST,

I'm a little confused as to what I'm supposed to do. I have a Samsung Hard drive, so I go to the Samsung section of your supplied link and I downloaded both the ES Tool in the "ES Tool for FDD" download link, and the HUTIL in the "HUTIL Tool for FDD". For both of them I unzipped the folder that was downloaded, and double clicked to run the application, and it seems like nothing happens. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
Hi dirtrider!

I've talked with a colleague of mine and they've suggested you get the CD DOS ISO if it is available.

They said that when testing the hard drive it's always best to do it outside of the windows environment, so that the diagnostic program has full control of everything.

You'll need to burn the ISO as the instructions suggest, then reboot the system, making sure the CDRom is the first boot device in BIOS.

If there is an extended test available to run, you will want to run that as it will test more areas, and give you more accurate results.

dirtrider

dirtrider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Would I use the ES Tool or the HUTIL Tool? I'm a little confused on the difference between the two.

dirtrider

dirtrider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
ST,

Today I started up my laptop and it booted normally. I then ran the Windows Repair install. Still waiting to hear from you on which HD scan to run.

Thanks,
dirtrider

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
Hi dirtrider,

Apologizes for taking so long to respond back to you, I needed to consult with a colleague on this.

Please use this link and download the tool from here: http://www.samsung.c...stool_CDROM.zip

dirtrider

dirtrider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
ST,

Ran the HD scan, and no problems came up. Got this message...

Your HDD had no error!!!
If your Computer still have some problem. please check the virus, operating system, or connection cable to your system.

Everything on my laptop has been working fine so far. Like I said it randomly booted normally a few days go, and I went ahead and performed the Windows repair install. Have not had much time to just kind of surf around the net/mess around on the computer to see if it will freeze again.

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
Hi!

Okay. Thanks for that information. I'd like to have you do some regular surfing in Normal mode and see if any issues arise.

Advertisements

dirtrider

dirtrider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Surfing around the past few nights and things seemed fine. However time will tell since because the last time this happened, it was fine for about a week or so, then the problem occurred again. Time will tell.

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
Okay, what I think I'm going to ask you to do is to use your computer normally for about a week, and see how things are running. At the end of the week, I'd like to have you post an update on how things have been behaving during the week, and if any issues came up. If no issues came up, then we can clean up the utilities we used, and we can wrap things up. If any issues due arise, we'll take it from there.

Does that sound good to you?

dirtrider

dirtrider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
works for me

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
:) I'll see you in a week then.

dirtrider

dirtrider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
hey ST,

Looks like I've been trouble free for a week now...What's next?