Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DVD Drive on Laptop won't read discs HP Laptop Corrupt Registry?

• Please log in to reply

Laura Ann Brito

Laura Ann Brito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Well, I am thinking that I will buy an external hard drive, start over, because I am rather certain myself that it is OS related too. I have a smaller External Hard Drive being repaired, and it might work for me. So I figure it will be what I will do. This laptop has the partition to restore it to original state when purchased, but I hate losing my bookmarks, histories, loads of things hehe, it is tough to do....but I will be very careful to backup and export anything I can, email folders, passwords, and anything else...hopefully it will be not to painful...hehe Ugg, programs too, it is such a tough thing to look through so many CDs/DVDs for the programs that I use...reconfigure so many things, but it isn't so bad, I am rather sure there is nothing wrong with the DVD player itself...

I appreciate the help though. Unless you can think of something else?

Sincerely
Laura

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Bookmarks, email addresses and such is not a problem as I can instruct you on how to back them up for the new install.

I am rather sure there is nothing wrong with the DVD player itself...

I would agree with that assessment also. :)
Without having a actual OS disk and not a recovery disk or partition there is a limit to what we can do.
I am not running away from this at all as there is plenty you can backup and save.
Afterwards then there is making sure everything is reinstalled and working correctly.
Were you able to figure out about when this all started?

Laura Ann Brito

Laura Ann Brito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
No, I don't use the DVD player much, and if I remember correctly it was about 2 months ago and I couldn't read a disc, I just figured there was something wrong with the disc, and I got the files off on another computer and moved them via a USB chip....but I was so busy that I didn't register, and I might have installed some other burner program for it or it might have been itunes that messed it up, but it still didn't work and I finally got time to check it out, I never figured it would be this hard....there is that partition on this laptop to restore the OS, and I have restore discs for it that I made as well. But I think that wipes the whole system and I lose my files....and any programs as well....(am I right?)

Thanks again
Laura

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well what I am suggesting is a system restore and not a system recovery. A restore will take the system back to right before the issue started but keep everything as far as data safe.

How To Restore back to a earlier date.

To do a System Restore follow these steps:

 Click Start and then to All Programs
 Scroll to Accessories and then System Tools
 Click on System Restore
 A Welcome screen will come up and you need to click on Restore My Computer To A Earlier Date
 Then click on Next
 Now you will see in the window Select A Restore Point. From here select a date a couple of days before the problem started.
 Then click Next
 On the Confirm Restore Point Selection window verify the Restore Point you chose is correct.
 Close all open programs and click Next
 The computer will now automatically shut down and reboot. When it restarts you will see ”Restoration Complete” page and then click OK
 Once you have made sure that everything is now running correctly then please reply back with the results.
If this does not work then follow the next steps to do a Repair Installation

Laura Ann Brito

Laura Ann Brito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
My oldest restore point is just a week ago, so I figure that won't do it, should I go ahead with the repair portion then? Just wanna be sure...

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
On Post 4 the Moderator advised you against the use of a Registry Cleaner.
However I notice from your Pitstop log and from one of your screenshots that you do in fact have two installed.

This one I think
http://www.eusing.co...try_cleaner.htm
and you have regclean installed as well.

The use of either of these may well have caused the problem.

I also notice from Pitstop that you have quite a number of DVD/CD writing and reading software. Ensure none of these are actually running when you insert the disc.

You had, before you ran TFC and please ckeck that you do not still have 23Gb of files in the recycle bin. That is a tremendous amount. In fact it is half the amount of free space on the hard drive.

I would suggest before you take the actual step of the recovery , in view of the fact that you cannot use system restore as the earliest system restore point is only a week old - (you either have insufficient drive space allocated to system restore, or the drive had too little free space available for system restore.) that you try the steps here.
http://h10025.www1.h...=c01897812#N760

If those do not succeed then I suggest you run the Microsoft Fixt troubleshooter, as a last resort.
http://fixitcenter.s...yFixIt#Relevant

BEFORE you proceed AFTER these steps, I advise you to check with rshaffer61 as he is I think intending to proceed with a Repair Install and NOT the recovery partition that you mention.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 12 October 2011 - 11:05 AM.

Laura Ann Brito

Laura Ann Brito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Those reg cleaner programs were not installed recently, and not used recently either. The CD/DVD player worked before, and after these were installed. It happened at a later time that it stopped working, and not from the running of these to my knowledge. I am also the only person to use this laptop.
Recycle bin is empty, I have 80GB free now on the hard drive...
I will do the steps next in the message from you.

Thank you!
Laura

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are doing a great job Laura with following the instructions and having so much patience as we try to diagnose the cause of this issue. :)

Laura Ann Brito

Laura Ann Brito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
I want it to work, hehe, so I am going to be as patient as possible. I tried all of that, for the Fix it part it says the Beta is closed, but I was able to do it using the HP link to the Microsoft Fix It (and I have done this now like lots of times...)

So on to the next step hehe, thanks both of you....

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm letting Macboatmaster suggest a few things because honestly I'm running out of ideals short of a fresh install and he finds things i miss at times. :)

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
On one of the disks that will not play can it be read from the commnd prompt as on the HP link

Rshaffer61 - I cannot remember WHEN, but I will have a go

Edited by Macboatmaster, 12 October 2011 - 07:03 PM.

Laura Ann Brito

Laura Ann Brito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
What do you mean exactly? From Dos? opps, showing my age here....being a DOS kind of gal...hehe

Thanks, sometimes I am rather hard headed....been gone all day, sorry for that guys...

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
From the HP link I sent you step 4.
Posted ImageStep 4: Read a disc from a command promptConfirm that the drive can read discs from a command prompt. Use the following steps to test the discs and the drive from a command prompt:

May I ask if you have tried all on that HP link as this was in the link.

I have doubt that these steps will solve the issue after the extensive steps that have already been taken, but they are definitely worth a try - before you take the more drastic action of a fresh install.
The reason I ask is, that on that link, is the link to the is procedure
http://h10025.www1.h...en&cc=us&dlc=en

where there is a section relating to the DVD drive. - and using the HP diagnostics system , installed on the computer.

Also I have been looking at the specifications for that computer. That drive is easily removable. If by chance you can find a friend or acquaintance that happens to have the same drive, although the type of disc it will play and the type it will not play does not seem to suggest a hardware error, that may be the conclusive way forward to eliminate the possibility of the drive. I would also run a cleaning disc - obviously avilable from many sources - the link just an example
http://www.dabs.com/...tm_content=Q200

You may find this interesting. I appreciate that a lot of the thread is regarding the actual lightscribe ie: burning the label, but the principle of certain media not detected, especailly the mnetionof the drive on HP computers eems to be of relevance.
http://www.lightscri...?g=posts&t=2626

Edited by Macboatmaster, 13 October 2011 - 08:54 AM.

Laura Ann Brito

Laura Ann Brito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Here is a capture when I put in a known good homemade DVD Disc, just so you see it. I am going over to try some of these other things next...

Laura Ann Brito

Laura Ann Brito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
here it is

Attached Thumbnails

• 10-13-2011 10-30-12 PM.jpg