Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DVD Drive on Laptop won't read discs HP Laptop Corrupt Registry?

• Please log in to reply

Laura Ann Brito

Laura Ann Brito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
I cannot see the DVD drive at the command prompt, it just says something like invalid operation or something I forget exactly hehe

Advertisements

Laura Ann Brito

Laura Ann Brito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
The page you sent me to is for a desktop and the laptop doesn't have this program installed. I already ran the troubleshooting part many times as well. I don't think HP will let me download this program, because I don't see it with my system at all. sorry if I am missing something?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

The page you sent me to is for a desktop and the laptop doesn't have this program installed

I am sorry about that I should have checked. HOWEVER having gone to YOUR computer on the HP site and clicked the link to the first item I sent you.
I then followed the link on that page - IT WAS the HP site that sent me to the link for their desktops from your LAPTOP page.

Here is the link to your laptop, on the page for removing the optical drive. I would still urge you to try THAT drive in another laptop, if possible, before proceeding on the presumption, although I agree the evidence tends to point that way, that it is a software matter to be solved by reinstalling, repair, etc.

http://h10025.www1.h...product=4125881

and here is the link to your laptop for troubleshooting and exploring the issues relating to the DVD
http://h10025.www1.h...product=4125881

HOWEVER reagrding the page being for the desktop. This one is FOR YOUR laptop
HERE is the link
http://h10025.www1.h...ct=4125881#N723

see Advanced troubleshooting
althought he access route is alightly different..

Additionally, the thread is rather long now and I do not have the time NOW, although I will do later to read EVERY post.
However is this relevant

It will not run a DVD+R burned on my old Sony Laptop

and this

when I put a DVD or CD written on my old laptop or XP machine (I don't know if others work or not at this point) it will make that seeking noise, and keep doing it for quite some time, then once the drive letter finally does appear for that DVD Drive it only has Desktop and reports the disc as being writable

I appreciate you say it will not read a commercial Movie DVD.- but leaving that aside for the moment

My question is - will it burn a DVD+R, preferably of course burning the same data that was on the one made on the old Sony AND then allow you to access that DVD on THIS computer

Edited by Macboatmaster, 14 October 2011 - 05:29 AM.

Laura Ann Brito

Laura Ann Brito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Ok! I understand about your time, don't worry. I will keep coming back here either way, even if it takes time. I get busy off and on too, and it isn't that I am ignoring it, it is just that I have to help the young people here (that is what I do, I run a small workshop where young adults learn to do metalworking, jewelry in a tiny village where there is nothing, i do this to help them, not for financial gain) so I understand completely...

Hummm, taking apart the laptop huh.....fun fun. I have taken apart 1, I never got the on and off button to work again, something just didn't fit right, but I will see, so would this laptop drive work in an older laptop, like my old old old Sony? Before I even try that.

I took it out to my workshop and lightly blew air into the drive and cleaned the keyboard too with my compressor....

I am going to clean the opitical drive real good today for starters. I will follow everything you put forth here as well. I wrote a disc, it was a lightscribe disc, the disc wrote well, it was full, and when I turned it over to print the lightscribe part, the software said it was not a lightscribe disc, so I restarted the laptop and this time the software did reconize it, but when it was done printing, there was no image on the disc, and I tried it one more time and it still said it was successful but there was no image on the disc. The disc has all the info on it, I took it to my XP machine and yes, it is fine, I can read it, but not on the laptop. It won't read its own disc....

So...
Yes it records DVD+R just fine
NO I cannot view it on this computer
YES I can view it on others

I cannot print to the printable side of the DVD+R (sometimes it says it is doing it, but doesn't, and sometimes it doesn't reconize the media)

Hope that is clear...
Thanks again (truly)
Laura

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

http://www.geekstogo...im-keyboard-42/

You do NOT HAVE TO - take the laptop apart
Step 1 - Remove the Battery
  • Slide and hold the battery release latch to the unlock position.
  • Lift the front edge of the battery and remove it from battery bay.
Step 2 - Remove the Optical Drive
  • Remove the 11mm P1 Phillips-head screw that secures the optical drive to the bottom of the notebook.
  • Use your fingers to grasp the edge of the optical drive bezel and slide the optical drive out of the base enclosure.
Step 3 - Replace the Optical Drive
  • Insert the optical drive into the base enclosure until the connector is seated.
  • Replace the 11mm P1 Phillips-head screw that secures the optical drive to the bottom of the notebook.
Step 4 - Replace the Battery
  • Toe the rear edge of the battery into the base enclosure.
  • Lower the front edge of the battery and press the battery into the battery bay until the release latch clicks.
Re my previous post - is the disk readable in the cmd window that I sent earlier in error (HP site error) and then sent in my last for YOUR laptop.

Have you been to the link for your laptop downloaded the media software, uninstalled the media software on YOUR computer and reinstalled from the new download.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 14 October 2011 - 12:30 PM.

Laura Ann Brito

Laura Ann Brito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Didn't have to take the battery out, or even a screw, it has a latch on the bottom that you move (not the battery one) and the CD Player just slides out. I cleaned it up more, and slid it back in, real easy, man alive, I am so relieved that it was that easy!

No the disc is not readable with the CMD prompt, I posted a picture of what I get when I try to go to the F drive, it says incorrect function.

I will uninstall the media next for my laptop and reinstall it....I downloaded Smartmedia DVD program, then tried to uninstall it on the laptop. I get this "error!! The product defination file lost." and it won't let me uninstall it....

I was thinking that if I could uninstall all of the Smartmedia stuff, even webcam, audio (tell me if I am wrong), DVD stuff, take out the DVD Player, uninstall the drivers, then start fresh with inserting the DVD drive, and reinstall the programs, then i might work itself out? But I am not sure how to get around the error I am getting....

Thanks again
Laura

Laura Ann Brito

Laura Ann Brito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Maybe I need to physicalled delete the drivers for the DVD drive and let them put in fresh ones?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Going back to cmd prompt
Pls confirm you have done this.
This is from the link on YOUIR laptop sent on my previous post when you had raised the desktop issue.
Use the following advanced troubleshooting methods if the CD or DVD is still not reading properly.Posted ImageReading a disc from a command promptUse the following steps to confirm that the drive can read discs from a command prompt.
  • Turn on the computer, and press the F8 key repeatedly at the logo screen until an Advanced Boot Options screen appears.
  • Select Safe Mode using the up and down arrows on the keyboard, and then press the Enter key.
  • When the computer boots into Safe Mode, click Start , type CMD in the search field and press enter to open a command window. Posted Image
  • Type diskpart at the command prompt, then press Enter .
  • Insert a data or movie disc that contains files into the optical disc drive. Do not use a music CD. Use the type of disc (CD or DVD) that is not being recognized in the drive.
  • Wait about 20 seconds for the disc to achieve full spin velocity.
  • Type list volume at the command prompt and press Enter .
  • Using the table that is displayed, look at the column labeled Type and find the DVD-ROM (or CD-ROM), and then locate the drive letter in the Ltr column, corresponding to the drive.If no CD/DVD drive exists in the Type column, go to Reseating the CD/DVD Drive .
  • Now that you have identified the drive letter for the optical drive, type Exit and press the Enter key to end the DISKPART command but leave the command prompt window open. Do not click the Posted Image in the upper right hand corner to close the window.
  • Type the drive letter for the drive followed by a colon (:) and then press Enter key. In this example D: .If a device is not ready error message displays, the disc or the drive may be bad, or the drive door is not closed properly. You may wish to test the drive by inserting a few other discs of the same type to make sure the problem is not with the disc. If other discs of the same type cannot be read, contact HP Customer Care.
  • Assuming there is no error message, type the directory command DIR and then press Enter key to display a list of files and folders on the screen.
  • If a list of file names and folders is shown on the screen, the disc is recognized by the drive. The issue is not likely related to the drive or the disc. It is probably related to the software configuration in Windows. Continue troubleshooting by reinstalling the device driver in Device Manager.
  • If the message "device is not ready" is shown or the screen fails to update after 30 seconds, the disc or the drive may be bad. You may wish to test the drive by inserting a few other discs of the same type to make sure the problem is not with the disc. If other discs of the same type cannot be read, contact HP Customer Care.
<li>When finished displaying the list of files on the optical disc, type Exit and press the Enter key to close the command prompt window.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 14 October 2011 - 03:50 PM.

Laura Ann Brito

Laura Ann Brito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
The only drive showing up on the "list disk" command is the C drive. Does that mean it is not configured? or? No errors at all

Thanks again
Laura

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
It is with some hesitancy that I ask again, but when I first posted this on the correct link in my post 78 you replied

No the disc is not readable with the CMD prompt, I posted a picture of what I get when I try to go to the F drive, it says incorrect function.

Now you post

The only drive showing up on the "list disk" command is the C drive. Does that mean it is not configured? or? No errors at all

the cmd is diskpart and then list volume

see my screenshot LIST DISK will not show the DVD drive.

what then shows. YOU do NOT have media in the drive at THIS stage.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 14 October 2011 - 04:38 PM.

Advertisements

Laura Ann Brito

Laura Ann Brito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Ok, I had done that wrong. I did the list volume command and the DVD Drive does come up, this is what it said....

Volume 0 F RAW DVD-ROM 2048 B HEALTHY

But when I got to the drive after exiting and input f: enter, it won't bring it up. It says invalid operation. I put a DVD disc in it.....

Thanks again for putting up with my hard head...hehe

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
We MAY be getting somewhere - I am not too sure where.

Without a disc in the drive you should see this.
See my screenshot

So please confirm that your details were WITHOUT a disk in the drive.

Now go to cmd type diskpart.
Wait for that to load, DO NOT type any Command.
Put in a disc.
type list volume

If that disc does not show see the instructions on my details on post 83 and follow them line by line please.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 14 October 2011 - 05:53 PM.

Laura Ann Brito

Laura Ann Brito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Yes, I did it again to see how it looks without media, yes, that is exactly what I get. I put in a CD-R this time just to see if it would do anything, and no, it came up exactly like the other picture, the one I sent you here...

Lets hope! I hope we are getting somewhere! haha

thank you

Laura Ann Brito

Laura Ann Brito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Going to do what you have me do next...

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. I am signing off it is 0111 in UK

up exactly like the other picture, the one I sent you here...

I do not think you have sent me one.

3. Send me a screenshot of the diskpart list volume please.

4. Again follow carefully the instructions after the list volume, exit diskpart.
Leave the cmd window open.
Insert media.
Cancel the autoplay or whatever opens if anything.
At just the C: prompt type F:
I do not think that can return invalid operation.
Are you sure you are typing it on the C prompt and not on diskpart.

If you are, take that disc out and put another disc in and repeat the exercvise.

Send screenshots please of any response to that operation.

NB If you are using the HP on Geeks may I suggest you print the instructions.. from my post 83.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 14 October 2011 - 06:18 PM.