Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD Drive on Laptop won't read discs HP Laptop Corrupt Registry?

• Please log in to reply

Laura Ann Brito

Laura Ann Brito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Here are the captures, sweet dreams!

Thanks!
Laura

Attached Thumbnails

• 10-14-2011 7-28-13 PM.jpg
  • 10-14-2011 7-29-29 PM.jpg
  • 10-14-2011 7-33-54 PM.jpg

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
On your first screenshot where F: is shown as Raw Data 2048 bytes.
Did you have a disc in the drive.
If NOT that should be shown as my screenshot on my post 87 ie No Media. which is your middle screenshot

On your last screenshot - the one on the right, pls confirm you are typing F: and Not F space :

Edited by Macboatmaster, 15 October 2011 - 07:31 AM.

Laura Ann Brito

Laura Ann Brito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Yes there was a disc in the drive when it shows the 2048 bytes

No not F : it is F: I do know that much, hehe, I started using computers when Dos was the only way you could use one, there was no Windows (but you don't know that about me! tee hee!)

The middle shot is when there was no disc in the drive.

Thanks!
Laura

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Using THE DISK that was in when it read RAW DATA 2048 bytes - is THAT disc readable in another computer.
If so what is the make of the disc - if branded, the type of disc and what is the data.
If the disc is a DVD disc try a CD disk or another type of DVD disc ie: if that is data try a movie etc.

On the command F: go to C prompt only. and retype that command F:

I opine that if that disc has data then the read lense on the drive is faulty. The drive has three lenses, a write, a read and a lightscribe.

It seems to me that, unless you do not mind the implications of a reinstall, or a soft recovery if the HP has that facility, that you would be best advised to proceed with the drive check, as I previously mentioned.

Possibly the dealer where you bought the HP, or another dealer with HP computers would for a reasonable charge test the drive in an HP laptop - just an idea.

I cannot see it as a possibility of the cause, but I would uninstall all the related software and reinstall from the link I sent you,
I think I am right in saying that you have not done this, but I know you have uninstalled the device and reinstalled that a number of times. I do not mean the physical removal, I mean of course in Device Manager, reboot and allow windows to reinstall.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Further to the above - 2048 Bytes is the size of the User data on ONE block on a DVD.
So either the read head is not moving across the DVD and therefore the laser is ONLY reading ONE block. OR the lense is dirty, OR there is a software problem.

Post the answers to my previous please.

I will reply and depending on what we have with THAT disc in another computer and other type discs in this one, I think it best to ;proceed with the uninstallation and reinstallation of all relevant software.

Which program are you using to read the data ie: VLC, WMP etc and if that disc was made on this computer which program are you using to burn the disc.

Laura Ann Brito

Laura Ann Brito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
The disc that showed the RAW Data 2048 B is readable in my XP Machine, and others. Verbatim 16x Lightscribe Disc, it works just fine on the XP Machine, and on a DELL Laptop. This is the disc that I wrote on this Laptop.

This laptop is from the USA, it was brought to me here in Mexico by my Mom. So I am not sure how the whole take it to the dealer thing would work from here, I know they wouldn't let me send it in, maybe just the DVD Drive or maybe I can buy a new drive, even though Lightscribe has been dropped by them now.

Remember I did download all the software for the DVD Rom, then tried to uninstall it, but I got that .I downloaded Smartmedia DVD program, then tried to uninstall it on the laptop. I get this "error!! The product definition file lost." and it won't let me uninstall it....I don't know if I can uninstall them manually via the hard drive and out of the registry?

I did remove it from the device manager, and I rebooted and let it reinstall it when it started up again. I think is isn't getting rid of the drivers, so if a driver is corrupted it is still using the same one?

Anyway here is some more info of things I tried and what my results were....

I put in a disc that is a Commercial Movie Disc, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. It took a while, but it did bring it up and started to play the movie. Using VLC Media Player. It played one of the features just fine. I also used some of the extra features of the disc.

Now I put in a CD-R disc, that only has some pictures on it. Right away the laptop sees the disc as empty or either not with a closed session (I am guessing here). So I figured what the [bleep], I will try to write one more picture to the disc. In Windows Explorer, I made a folder for the disc, and added one picture, then I pressed burn to disc, and it went through the process up to the end, only 30 seconds left to close the session. Then it could not close the disc, and says the disc may no be useable anymore....it ejected it. I closed the lid again to see if it brings it up now....and it only brings up the write to disc folder with the 1 file in it, and the disc is seen as empty, virgin. This CD-R is a TDK and I can read it fine on a XP desktop.

If I go to the command line, and input F: it says "incorrect function." (it also has a period after it!) Picture attached.

Next I put in a Commerically recorded Computer CD, for a Modem I no longer have. Just to see if I can read it. It spins up and seeks, and seeks but never stops, the light on the DVD Rom is green and it will run forever it seems, I stopped it after about 10 minutes.

Then I put in a Homemade DVD+R Memorex brand, it was written with the Sony Laptop or the XP Machine. It brings up the Autoplay thing, where you either write a disc, burn a disc with data, video, or whatever it lists.....it sees the disc as empty, file attached...

I then put in a TDK DVD+R disc 8x, and it did not bring up the autoplay thing, but when i bring up Windows Explorer it shows it is an empty disc.

I put in a Sony Commercial DVD that was a gift to me, it has Spiderman on it, among other content, made for Computers and DVD Rom Drives...it brought it up immediately. It works fine. Go figure. I am so confused now that I am totally burnt out! It has a built in player that was made for the Sony Vaio laptop.....it won't play the movie on the HP but you can see that it works just perfectly fine otherwise.

Attached Thumbnails

• 10-15-2011 6-35-01 PM.jpg
  • 10-15-2011 6-56-49 PM.jpg

Laura Ann Brito

Laura Ann Brito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
I talked about this error before, but I think it has something to do with the whole problem. I have attached the capture, of the part where there is an error in the registry file concerning the DVD Rom drive....

Attached Thumbnails

• 10-15-2011 7-31-36 PM.jpg

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

Possibly the dealer where you bought the HP, or another dealer with HP computers would for a reasonable charge test the drive in an HP laptop - just an idea.

I do not of course know how you are placed for access to computer dealers/repair shops etc. but I was suggesting the actual drive which as I posted and you established is very easily removable.

On the command F: go to C prompt only. and retype that command F:

I do not really expect it to make a difference but you are, with respect, NOT doing as I asked - according to your screenshot you are still typing the cmd for the F: drive on the C:\Users\etc prompt.

I put in a disc that is a Commercial Movie Disc, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. It took a while, but it did bring it up and started to play the movie. Using VLC Media Player. It played one of the features just fine. I also used some of the extra features of the disc.

Weel on that evidence it seems to dismiss the idea that the read lense or head is the fault.

I put in a Sony Commercial DVD that was a gift to me, it has Spiderman on it, among other content, made for Computers and DVD Rom Drives...it brought it up immediately. It works fine.

This supports the above, as I see it but now from your last post it appears that discs you have burnt on this computer, or on another computer cannot be read, but are readable on another computer.

In the case of discs burnt on this computer, not being readable on this computer, I think we will eliminate any possibility of a problem with your burning software.
I see you use Cheetah.
Download this
http://www.imgburn.com/

When you have the program installed. Burn a CD with pictures ie: JPEG images from your files on your computer.
DO NOT PLEASE make any selections for any of the many variables on the program.
Allow the program to select its own settings.
The beauty of this program is that it rather good at managing its own settings.

When you have it open on your desktop click please on the icon top right - write files or folders to a disc.
check on the window that opens that your optical drive has been identified
On the source, click the second icon browse fro a file, or the third browse for a folder
Do so and then select the folder and click select folder or the file and click open as appropriate

Insert a blank CD. write. or R/W - check that the disc is now recognised. the disc symbol on the bottom of the left window will change to show a red mark and the last line will indicate ready
Clcik the disc symbol indicating Build
Img Burn will not allow you to proceed if it is not.
If the program tells you the disk needs formatting first please do so.
Again may I stress do not make any changes to the automatic settings
If it selects full format agree.

The rest is automatic.
Do not interrupt until it indicates complete and opens the tray.
It will then reclose and lets hope you can view the pictures.

Good Night.
0300 in UK

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Laura Ann Brito

Hello, I just wondered how you were progressing with this.
I have been reviewing the whole thread and I realised that you are concerned about what you perceive as an error on the registry key
In your post 97.

That is NOT an error, the error report is simply telling you that you do not have permission to viewthe properties of that key.#
This is a standard protection system in Vista and 7 and is NOT inidcative of any error in the registry

Even if I sent you the instructions to open that Properties sub key, you would I am certain see ONLY this on my screenshot.

WHEN you have tried what I sent in my last post, we can open the Properties if you so wish.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 18 October 2011 - 08:29 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The running of SFC should have corrected any error with the registry. I am not aware of any key that would allow the drive to read some disks and not others.
The copyright protection in WMP maybe would not read disks but the use of VLC would resolve that.

Advertisements

Laura Ann Brito

Laura Ann Brito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Yes the CD Drive is very easy to move, so I probably could send it to the US no problem.

I don't have a CD-R disc, so I used a DVD. It wrote it well...but it ejected it when it was done, I closed the drive again, and the screenshot is what came up....

I can read it on my XP Machine.

So it reads movies, it reads most commercial computer discs, it writes discs just fine......I just can't use them!

Thanks again, and sorry for the delay, things got hectic!
Sincerely
Laura

Attached Thumbnails

• 10-18-2011 12-38-43 PM.jpg

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I tially agree with rshaffer61, as he might expect.

I never thought that this was a problem in that properties sub key of the registry. I was pointing out to you that the message you thought was an error in the registry was NOT an error message regarding the registry key it was an error message telling you that you could not open the properties of the properties sub key, if you follow that.

I opened it on my computer just to reassure you that, even if you followed my instructions, when I posted them to allow you to open it, my screenshot is all you would see.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 18 October 2011 - 12:36 PM.

Laura Ann Brito

Laura Ann Brito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Thanks! I was just checking, not that I know much about that...hehe

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Sorry for the delay.
Being researching the issue.

On Image Burn
1. What make of DVD were you using.

2. If you did not change any of the settings on Img Burn then after writing it verifies the compilation itsef. It cycles the draw of the device, som you should not have had to close it.
When it has then verified the compilation, if it would have done, Img Burn then hands control to Autoplay if set.

3. What please are the files you are using to make the DVD are they JPEG images.
Go the files , right click and click properties,

4. May I suggest you buy some DVD RW and some CD RW it is going to save you a lot of expense. I know the discs are only cheap but with RW it will be cheaper in the long run, for testing purposes.

5. If you do not mind using another disc go Image Burn, click Mode on the toolbar, click READ, then on the right hand pane set both at 2x.
Now return to Mode and click write, set at 2x
Now burn a disc with just three or four jpegs - otherwise if you try and burn Mbs you will be there all night

Laura Ann Brito

Laura Ann Brito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
I will buy some new discs tomorrow. This disc was Verbatim, but I am out of the CD-R ones, but yeah I will get some RW ones that way we can keep trying! They were JPEGs, I put on about 1 gig. Yes it was done burning and ejected the disc, since it won't close on its own (laptop not desktop) so I closed it, and autoplay turned on saying what did I want to do, burn, write, you know, it sees it as a blank disc, but the imgbrn program gave me this error....on top of the autoplay part....

Thanks again!

Laura