Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD Drive on Laptop won't read discs HP Laptop Corrupt Registry?

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
That optical drive has many reports on the HP website and on others of causing problems.
It appears to be particularly susceptible to errors when using the cheaper brand of write discs.
I am not saying that Verbatim is, but I would go for a higher quality rewite disc, say SONY or Memorex.
Not to mention those two for any particular reason just that I use them.

I would also try as I said burning at a slower speed.
I appreciate that the disc you last made did play on the other computer, but it may be beneficial just to try the slower speed.

If that does not work then I think we are at the stage of you trying to use that drive in another computer, that it fits, it is used in many HP latops.
Whether that is accomplished by enquiries amongst your friends and acquaintances or through an approach to a computer business is obviously dependant on your circumstances.
At least then you would know beyiond doubt if the drive is good.
Obviously the ideal situation would be another drive tested in this computer.

I will wait for your reply when you have the RW discs and have tried the slower burn.
I do not recommend that you alter any other settings on Img Burn.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It does not have to be a hp laptop optical drive to fit. Normally any 2.5 inch optical drive will work as long as the interface is correct.
Also I use Verbatim disks more then anything and have very few problems with them but as Macboatmaster stated they may not be right for you.
I am still leaning toward the read laser is starting to fail more then anything else.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

If that does not work then I think we are at the stage of you trying to use that drive in another computer, that it fits, it is used in many HP latops.
Whether that is accomplished by enquiries amongst your friends and acquaintances or through an approach to a computer business is obviously dependant on your circumstances.
At least then you would know beyiond doubt if the drive is good.
Obviously the ideal situation would be another drive tested in this computer.

I agree of course with rshaffer61 - another computer that it fits. and as the Moderator says another drive in this computer. does not have to be the HP. In fact I think it is an LG drive from the drive details, albeit HP will have had the drive drawer badged HP

NB Re Verbatim. I do not use them, but if they are good enough for rshaffer61, I am sure they are good enough for that DVD drive. Please ignore my comment

I am not saying that Verbatim is, but I would go for a higher quality rewite disc, say SONY or Memorex.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 19 October 2011 - 04:10 PM.

Laura Ann Brito

Laura Ann Brito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
It will be a day or two before I can get the DVDs and CDs, I am 2 hours out in the middle of no where, so I just haven't been able to go....

Sorry guys....

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
No problem - whenever you are ready.

May I just compliment on you on how you have stayed with this thread and wish you a successful conclusion, whether through our efforts here, you and us, or with the eventual replacement of the drive.

Laura Ann Brito

Laura Ann Brito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
On a side note, I found a replacement for $15 on Amazon. It is used, but I figure at that price it wouldn't hurt to have a backup even if it isn't the drive...so I am thinking about that....

I am so happy you guys are helping me. I don't plan on going anywhere until this is fixed, here...hehe, so Thanks! If this ever helps anyone else it is going to be helpful!

Sincerely
Laura

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well I think something like "you pays your money and you take your chance" comes to mind.

Laura Ann Brito

Laura Ann Brito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Yes it does...only problem, it has to be shipped to my daughter in AZ, she will include in my monthly box of goodies (licorice, coffee, and tea plus whatever parts I need for various things) so it might be a while until I get it.....

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Did you ever clean that read lense on the drive.
a cotton bud and some 91% isopropyl alcohol., but generally the advice is to start with a can of compressed dusting gas first. Then if no help, try alcohol.
Do not soak it, very gently wipe it across the surface, if the cotton bud is then discoloured try again, until clean.

GENTLY is the master word.
For safety power down, disconnect power lead and take out battery.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 19 October 2011 - 07:48 PM.

Laura Ann Brito

Laura Ann Brito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Will do today too!

Advertisements

Laura Ann Brito

Laura Ann Brito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Well guys! I am back, I just got the "new" used DVD Drive that is supposed to be the same as the one installed, it isn't, but the laptop reconized it and installed it anyway, it fits fine into the slot on the laptop, looks the same, and guess what? IT WORKS!! I am now able to read CDs and DVDs, I still need to do more tests, but I guess my very very lightly used DVD player on this laptop came up bad! But it is wonderful news, and even though we tried so hard to make it work, it wasn't software, but hardware. Thank you so much for all your help! I apprecite it so very much! Nice to have my laptop back 100%

Sincerely
Laura

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations Laura Ann Brito. :rockon: for a successful resolution for your issue.

I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :thumbsup: :ph34r:

Laura Ann Brito

Laura Ann Brito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
I am the one who appreciates you guys! You guys are wonderful! hehe, believe me, I am really appreciative!